Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just wondering what I can expect from this engine as far as total miles I can put on it.

I recently bought an 04 fxt and love it. It does have 127k miles on it and the previous and only owner changed the timing belt and gave it all required services.

It has been really well taken care of and if I continue to take care of it how long can I expect the engine to last...

300k?

400k?

150k?

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
It's a high-performance, turbo-charged engine. I don't hear of many (if any) turbocharged Subarus reaching 200K, or even 150K -- it's not something they are known for. Good news is, with good maintenance it should keep going strong and when it croaks replacements can be had relatively cheap.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 XT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really? thats awfully disappointing. the engine feels very strong and it makes me sad to think I can only reasonable expect 30k more miles...

makes me feel like i should start looking for an engine now.:icon_rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I'm not saying that, it may very well last another 100K or more, you never know. It's just that Subaru engines aren't exactly "overbuilt" and can break when some conditions aren't ideal. Also, some of them are notorious for failed head gaskets, although the turbo engines don't see this problem as often.

Turbo itself can fail, too. These are all mechanical parts that see alot of heat, things fail. I wouldn't worry about it 'till you had to though, just enjoy the car -- it is a great car to drive.

Stan

·
Registered
04 FXT
373 Posts
Look on Nasioc, there are plenty of high mileage turbo boxers. The more 'stock' you are the better of course...which is why at 120k, i'm not modding for power anymore(tuned stage 2.5), just going for looks and handling!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
It's a high-performance, turbo-charged engine. I don't hear of many (if any) turbocharged Subarus reaching 200K, or even 150K -- it's not something they are known for. Good news is, with good maintenance it should keep going strong and when it croaks replacements can be had relatively cheap.

Stan
I have only 5k miles more to go until that 150k milestone... and Subed runs perfectly. I fully intend to get at least another 100k on the original engine. And you know Subed hasn't been babied in his life either... just properly taken care of.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Should be able to make it to 200k no problem if its well maintained and not abused. 300k might be pushing it. Really the problems to look out for are things like wheel bearings, rust, and rubber parts dry rotting. I have 135k on mine and it has been HEAVILY abused since around 30k.

·
Registered
2004 XT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok well thats better news.

i cant find rust on the car anywhere. its an oklahoman car originally and now in arkansas, so it will have little to no rust in the future as well.

its been serviced well, and an older man drove it primarily on the highway. that might help the wheel bearings, i dont know.

well ill stay hopeful. its just such a beautiful car. the inside is immaculate and the outside nearly as perfect. just hope the engine can keep up.

I recently did a treatment to the headlights, you guys might want to try it...i was really impressed. its looking brand new. found it at walmart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts