Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've just had my Forester a few weeks but already I'm feeling an itch to get some mods done, especially after reading the pages here most days :)

Thing is, most of the tuning chat that goes on in the above forums is from owners across the pond, with their US webpages and 2.5 US spec foresters. And I just dont know what applies to my lil' 2.0XT :(

I like the look of the prodrive kit but at £1600 its way too expensive. It seems a bloomin' steep price for an ECU remap, hose thing and new silencer! Surely this could be done for a lot cheaper..

On a plus side I live in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. And i believe we have the Scooby Clinic near here.

I was wondering what sort of moderate but effective tuning can be done with the 2.0XT. More early to mid range grunt would be nice :D

Regards
Mick

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Clinic's mapper in residence is Pat Herborn.... they're very good and really cheap on labour rates...

What you can do really depends on your needs and budget. How much do you reckon could be signed off by the missus ? :D Simple breathing mods ( green or STi panel filter ) decat or sportscat downpipe and an ecutek map would see 40-50hp extra no stress at all...

I can't remember if the XT still has the td035 or td04. If is isn't a td04 then a second hand one can be sourced for peanuts.

That should be about a 1000-1200 all in....

Don't neglect simple suspension mods ( antirollbar / droplinks ), WRX 4 pot calipers and 17" wheels. Stopping and staying on the black stuff is important...

Hope this gives you some ideas

Steve

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
My 06 2.5xt has the TD04 - not sure about the 2.0 tho...

Will likely be selling mine soon tho as planning to get a VF39 ;)
Oh and my 17" wheels are for sale now ! :D

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Everyone has a spare TD04 in the garage :lol:

Do your 17's clear 4pots btw ? Be a nice upgrade if they did...

S

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys :)

So I take it there are two types of turbo fitted to our Foresters. How do I know which one I have? And if I can get hold of a TD04 will it just bolt on and run with no other mods?

So... in the order of getting things done....Air filter, then exhaust, then something like a ecutek and remap.

If I do these things bit by bit will my Forester run OK or do I need to save my pennies and get it all done in one go?

Sorry for all the Q's this is my first turbo car :confused:

Thanks
Mick

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Not sure about the Turbo - someone will be along shortly who knows about these things but if you do change it then it should go straight on, but you will need to have the car remapped.

I've done my mods in a different order just because I wasn't happy with the cars braking and handling before going for more power..
My order would be..

Wheels and tyres - 17's or 18's with decent tyres will make a huge difference in not only the ride and handling but the usability of the performance you do have.
Brakes - I went for a Prodrive BBK but a set of four pot Brembos would be a good investment.
Suspension - 22mm ARB and Droplinks first, I don't think you have self levellers on the rear so maybe then just a set of springs would help.
Then go for power imo - filter and exhaust first, then remap with or without new turbo. Depending on target bhp may need injectors/fuel pump/intercooler.

All this is based on my experience with the 06 FXT so the chaps with previous models may want to correct me or suggest alternatives..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like the look of the prodrive kit but at £1600 its way too expensive. It seems a bloomin' steep price for an ECU remap, hose thing and new silencer! Surely this could be done for a lot cheaper..
It is fully warranted. On a new car over three years that is worth a lot.

22mm rear ARB is OTT. Standard rear is 17mm hollow. You don't need to go more than a 20mm solid. If your car has steel droplinks you don't have to change them :smile:

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Front strut brace and rear tower brace?

Really helped on mine

·
Registered
18 Posts
Front strut brace and rear tower brace?

Really helped on mine
New shape Forester shell is much stiffer than the old, as was bugeye Impreza vs classic (around 300% for WRX, IIRC).

I defy anyone to drive a new shape Forester fitted with them vs the same without and tell the difference. They look nice but are pure eye candy sold by snake oil salesmen who will wax lyrical telling you how they will transform your car :biggrin:

Forester tends to be a bit of a load lugger so would totally mess up usable space in the back too ;-)

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Unless you get a quick release Whiteline one - purely for the cosmetic and bling factor of course ;)

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Dave TS said:
Prodrive driving lamps
Dave

How have you found those driving lamps? They're the ones the replace the foglights, right? I'm thinking about getting them myself. Disappointed with the stock headlamps and never felt the need for front foglights.

-- Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Unless you get a quick release Whiteline one - purely for the cosmetic and bling factor of course
Bartop
I did think of that, but without looking wasn't sure if anyone did a quick release one for the FXT.

How have you found those driving lamps?
Steve
To be totally honest, they are still sitting in a box in the garage as I haven't fitted them yet - just not had enough time with renovating a house and spending 5 hours a day commuting!:frown: Bit daft really as I spend two hours a day driving in the dark :(
Changing the standard headlamp bulbs for Philips Vision Plus or Osram Silver Star will make a worthwhile difference - around £18 a pair from www.powerbulbs.co.uk :grin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts