·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in the Sticks.

Our Water Pressure was great.

We live at the bottom of a hill.

The water had to be pumped up the hill so, as I said pressure great.

However, the old metal pipes regularly had leaks.

Last year they fitted new Plastic Water ipes.

We noticed a big drop in the water pressure but lived with it.

Througout the Winter we noticed the Shower pressure dropping.

Tonight took the biscuit.

Over the weekend I treated the lawn with the mosskiller/lawn treatment.

If it don't rain within 48 hours water in yourself.

I turned the hose on and it was Mr Dribbly, what a Frigging Joke!

So, the water pressure is a fraction of what it was before, the prices have gone up, my service has gone down.

I have read of Mr Joe Public getting nowhere with the Water Companies, Monolplies and such like.

Anyone got any ideas of how I can get them to turn it back up to a reasonable level??

Any tips, hints/Web pages gratefully received.

Cheers.

kind regards

Alan MaC

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice One John,

I will give it a go, I'm sure that they will wrigggle their way out of it.

Regards

AM

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
If you get no help from the water company you will have to install a booster pump and a retention or "well tank". I would exhaust every other option first before spending your hard earned money since you used to have good pressure.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
this might help.

My parents had a problem with water pressure last year, and they ended up having to contact offwat to get any kind of action.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Mike,

Did OFWAT make them do something?

Cheers

Alan

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
yes eventually, she spoke to her local provider on a number of occasions and nowt was done. one call to offwat and "hello"

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Are other people on the same main having the same problem.
If not then might be worth removing the main stop valve head as debris from the disturbed pipework can lodge in there and restrict the flow.

Make sure you tiurn off the main stockcock in the road first though :icon_biggrin:

Max

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
My parents used to regularily get this probelm as they were the highest house for about 10 miles in any direction, only about 15 other houses on the top of that hill, they had their own booster station, whenever it went down they could just about get a dribble out the kitchen tap, nothing anywhere esle, ironically neighbours at the bottom of the hill also knew when the booster station was out as they had a load more pressure than usual.....

Simon

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Morning Everyone,

Yes everyone has rubbish pressure now, only 4 houses at the bottom of the hill.
Thanks for the replies.

Kind regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right, this afternoon I went out & took up the metal Grids.

There is a big one with a + - knob with a large screwdriver notch in the top.

So I went into our Garage & got a large screwdriver out.

I turned it as far as I could in the + direction.

It now comes out a bit more than before however, still not as good as before but an improvement.

Our Built in Mixer Shower is over 20 years old & wasn'y designed for a Combi Bolier.

We are going to get a new one, I hope this helps as well.

As usual thanks for all the tips.

Kind regards

AM

·
Registered
99 Forester
89 Posts
WATER an angry rant

:mob:

Think yourself lucky you do not live in the South West.

We pay the largest amount for our water.

South West Water makes record profits £101 million in 2009 and £132.5million this year.

How do they justify their charges? We the local peoplew have to pay for the clean beaches.:evilatyou::evilatyou::evilatyou::evilatyou:

Bloody daylight robbery I call it

IT SUCKS

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
jon,

you have my sympaties, when we where down there last year we where with some friends who where first telling us their council tax was very high, until we told them how much we pay. But when they told us there water rates they won hands down. They where paying 1 and a half times what we pay and their on a water meter!

Still i'd rather live down there than anywhere else in the country.

2 weeks to go and i'm down there :woohoo:

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
:mob:

Think yourself lucky you do not live in the South West.

We pay the largest amount for our water.

South West Water makes record profits £101 million in 2009 and £132.5million this year.

How do they justify their charges? We the local peoplew have to pay for the clean beaches.:evilatyou::evilatyou::evilatyou::evilatyou:

Bloody daylight robbery I call it

IT SUCKS
Im usually out of the country monday to friday. so i dont actually use that much water.

the first year i was in my house my water bill was rediculous!.

i then had a water meter fitted. got my water bill last week..... £14!

·
Registered
2003 forester x auto
236 Posts
jon,

you have my sympaties, when we where down there last year we where with some friends who where first telling us their council tax was very high, until we told them how much we pay. But when they told us there water rates they won hands down. They where paying 1 and a half times what we pay and their on a water meter!

Still i'd rather live down there than anywhere else in the country.

2 weeks to go and i'm down there :woohoo:
If you come way down west check the coast road from st.ives to st.just.....proper driving road....mind the odd camber changes and the twisty bits, they still catch me out once in a while and I've been doing it for 20yrs!!!:icon_cool:

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Thats where we nearly always stay. Proper Cornwall. Very few Grockles, apart from us :biggrin:

Done that road lots of times and it is good apart from that little populated bit near trewallard which I always seem to catch the bus coming the other way.

We stayed at the Lizard lighthouse last year and I was up at 4am one morning to go fishing with a friend of mine off Porth Kidney beach and the road from the Lizard to Helston is a good road at that time. Left the lighthouse at 4am and was on the beach at 4:30 :biggrin:, in fact I was giving it so much beans that one of my Dogs threw up!

·
Registered
2003 forester x auto
236 Posts
Hey...what do you know....that little populated bit is me....and I will let you off the spelling....its TrewEllard....bloomin emmets and there spelling I dunnow....whatever next.:mob:

Good road to live on though....:woohoo:

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
....its TrewEllard
I've got Dyslexic fingers mate :biggrin:

Will give you a wave if I see you later on this month. We're down for the last two weeks of June, but you've got more chance of seeing me walking though. I think a walk upto Chûn Quoit might be in order.

Surprised you've not seen my car before as we've been down there 11 times in 3 years and usually stay at a cottage on Levant Rd.

·
Registered
2003 forester x auto
236 Posts
You could here me sneeze from Levant road on a still night.....I'm down behind the garage...:icon_biggrin:
Will mumble "right er no" as I see you pass....that should set me apart from all the other mad Cornishmen round here.:icon_rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts