Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing my next change this weekend, been thinking of going to synthetic....

Any advice.

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,928 Posts
mobile1

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Mobil 1 10w30

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts
Plain old dino here. Chevron Supreme 5W 30 or 10W 30 depending on the season. I change way too often and don't mind recycling the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
I just switched to mobil 1 at the 7500 service. I will use nothing but OEM oil filters in any car after my experience with Fram in my last car.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
M1 truck & suv 5W-40 is my preference (I tow a work trailer).
Good for hard running engines while keeping cold weather startability.

Your answer actually lies in your climate and how hard you run the engine.
Factory 5W-30 will be fine for 90% of the cars out there.
Hotter temperatures and/or hard running and/or towing will benefit from an xW-40 (I'll explain the "x" in a second).
Racing? Go to an xW-50.
Never use anything lower than xW-30.
Now, about the "x".
The colder your winter climate is, the lower the first number should be.
Never get below freezing? 10W-nn or higher will be ok.
Freezing temps, use the 5W-nn.
Super cold (below 0f all day & night), go to a 0W-nn.

Now after reading this you might wonder why I (a person living in south Florida) am using 5W-40 vs 10W-40.
Simply put, we do road trip quite a bit (including winter time) and find ourselves in the cold; hence the choice.

Want to do more research?
Look here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Oh, BTW, get a Fumoto valve and make you life easier.
Happy motoring!

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Boca_Yid said:
The colder your winter climate is, the lower the first number should be.
Never get below freezing? 10W-nn or higher will be ok.
Freezing temps, use the 5W-nn.
Super cold (below 0f all day & night), go to a 0W-nn.

Happy motoring!
The '0' grade will only benefit if you live in the Artic circle (or Russia as the case has been this winter). ;) A quality synthetic '5' grade will pour in the -40's range. Amsoil 5w30 pours down to -60. :D

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Mobil 1 5 or 10w30 & a PureOne or oem oil filter every 5-6,000 miles. Running as new at 102,000 miles with little or no oil consumption.

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
Mobil 1
5W or 10W-30, depending on temps and driving conditions.

I will never use another Fram filter - Had the gasket separate on one and puke fresh oil on the garage floor. OEM filters for me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
How many miles on your car?

One school of thought is to run the engine in for, say, 10k miles then switch to synthetic. I subscribe to this school :)

I used Castrol GTX 5w30 when we were in Illinois but changed to 10w40 when we moved to south central Texas. Will be going to Mobil1 after I use up my stock of 10w40 (2 changes left). I always use OE filters during warranty and then OEM after warranty expires.

I like Mobil products and use Mobil1 15w50 in my BMW 525i and Delvac1 5w40 in our diesel motorhome.

If you are still under warranty, it pays to stick with OE products especially if you ever have a warranty issue! DAMHIK!!

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
philbytx said:
If you are still under warranty, it pays to stick with OE products especially if you ever have a warranty issue! DAMHIK!!
Actually, the owner's manual specifies different oil weights for HD service.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Since I put a lot of miles on in a short time I want to stretch out the change intervals. I went to Synthetic I found Castrol Syntec 5w-50 at about $5 / qt. so each oil change is ~$25 + filter. If I change at 3000 mi intervals I will be changing oil every 2 to 3 weeks. I think that 7000 mi is good for mostly Hghway mileage if I have synthetic.

Also I change my own oil. I don't trust those guys at the quick change oil places. One time I took my Jeep Commanchee in for service, when I left about 2 or 3 miles down the road my hydrolic valve lifters started tapping. I had to take it to the shop and get them replaced at ~$600.00 apparently they got dirt somewhere that migrated to the lifters 2 miles down the road.:tempertantrum

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
26 Posts
Mobil 1 5W-30 for my FXT, and the S4 gets Mobil 1 0W-40. OEM filters for both.

I've used M1 for at least the last 10 years on all my cars and each one has seen well over 100K miles.

·
Registered
116 Posts
OE parts

Boca_Yid said:
Actually, the owner's manual specifies different oil weights for HD service.
Indeed it does as I did mention I was using 10w40 in Texas. However, I was actually referring to the filter.when I referred to OE equipment..... :wink:

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts
Anyone use Royal Purple? I hear it's supposed to be really good.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts