Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting fed up with my spongy brakes and I figure a good fluid replacement should help out. What are people using and what are your opinions?

I'm using Valvoline DOT3/4 - it was ok at first, but it now stinks.

I'm thinking about replacing it with the ATE Blue... thoughts?

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
I may be cheap, but I'm not easy. ATE Blue works for me, daily driving/Autocross/Track on several cars before the XT. ATE comes in clear and blue so you can see when you have replaced the old fluid.

Dont forget the Speedbleeders from Oakos.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
AP Racing for me. Previously I used Motul, but according to the guys at LIC Motorsports it doesn't work well with the Brembos.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Speed Bleeders too! Available at Napa Auto Parts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Valvoline Synpower FTW! Readily available and affordable! I change it before and after every track day. I don't worry about changing it for AutoX events though. I have never boiled it at the track either.

S

·
0 Posts
A great investment is a "speed bleeder" or "one man bleeder". I bought one about 5 years ago (Motive). It's the type that has a bottle, you fill with fluid, screw an attachment hose to the top of the brake resorvoir and then pump up. Then, just start on the right rear, standard sequence for bleeding brakes. A few of my car buddies have borrowed it and it makes annual brake bleeding easy. I always use ATE Super Blue or Super Blue in gold, depends upon which color I used the last time. (by using different colors, you know when you've got all the old stuff out)

·
Registered
07 FXT Sports 5MT
360 Posts
my brakes dont get hot enough on the street to worry about it.

any olde dot 4 will work.

on the race car? Motul and nothing else.

Jamie Thomas
Jamie at chaplins.com
[url=https://www.subarugenuineparts.com][img]https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/images/design/logo.gif[/img][/url]
[url]www.subiegal.com[/url]

·
Registered
563 Posts
mikebike357 said:
I'm getting fed up with my spongy brakes and I figure a good fluid replacement should help out. What are people using and what are your opinions?

Are you guys saying that brake fluid and SS lines will make a difference during daily driving?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
zee lee said:
Are you guys saying that brake fluid and SS lines will make a difference during daily driving?
No big difference to me. Pedal feels a touch firmer with the lines but if you're using DOT4 already, more frequent changes will benefit you more than any high zoot fluid will.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts
NahdaDamdyke said:
... but if you're using DOT4 already, more frequent changes will benefit you more than any high zoot fluid will.
X2
I use Castrol LMA and flush it often. I don't mind flushing and recycling the regular stuff.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I think the brake fluid issue is a bit analogous to the motor oil one. Some may be better than others but if you change them often enough, they're not in there long enough to have an advantage over each other. By the way I use the Motul DOT4 RB somethin'or another.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Orielly's DOT3 changed out once a year...fresh brake fluid is happy brake fluid no matter the brand.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
mikebike357 said:

How long (time & mileage) did you have the Valvoline (synpower?) Dot3/4 fluid in your vehicle? I was considering using the same when the time comes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts