Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

4941 - 4960 of 4970 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Homelink

I forgot to mention one from my '19 Sport: the Homelink garage door opener range is weak, at least compared to my old Sienna. I used to be able to open or close the garage door from a house or two away, but with the Forester, I have to be right near the door to get it to work, especially for closing the door after driving out of the garage. I have resorted to using one of the garage remote openers inside the Forester, just like it was 1993.
I have a similar issue with my 2019 Forester Touring. Homelink will open the garage door from inside the garage in my apartment building, but when I drive to the outside it will not close the door. The original remote works fine (and from a greater distance than the Homelink when inside the garage) and it does not need to have direct line of sight to the motor. Is there a way to boost the signal of Homelink? My main reason for getting Homelink was to ditch the bulky remote but now I have to use it anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love my 2019 great CarPlay great center console, granted the new OB is larger but i love my forester as well love the driver alert and integrated memory seat and mirrors
@columnshift you’re not missing anything with the larger screen on the new outback, when you’re connected to android auto or Apple CarPlay it only uses a 6.5 inch on the diagonal section of the screen.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Premium
93 Posts
I'm two weeks into ownership, and although it's high mileage my peeves so far aren't related to the mileage (I knew what I was getting into when I bought a car at 263k).

2011 Forester Frustrations
  1. Sloped cargo area - I discovered my hatred for this two minutes after I bought the car and tried to load the winters into the trunk. Three stacked up, one on its side... and that one on its side would not stay in the trunk unless you pushed it in and slammed the trunk quickly.
  2. Rear seats can't be removed - Being able to remove the rear seats would allow the seat backs to fold flat... which they can't, compounding Frustration 1.
  3. Power windows don't run unless key in On position - I hate wasting fuel. The moment I pull into a parking space, thanks to my old car ('03 Tribute) I developed the habit of immediately shutting off and pulling the key out before even getting the headlights off. I feel dirty sitting idling while waiting for the sunroof to complete its half-mile trek across the ceiling. I'm definitely going to be looking into modding this, for no purpose other than being able to close the windows (I know the batteries in these aren't great).
  4. Arm rest discomfort - Another thing I got used to with my Tribute was being able to sit comfortably with both elbows resting at even heights. The centre console and the door-mounted armrest in the Tribute/Escape were much higher. In the Forester, your left arm has to awkwardly go out at a chicken-wing angle while your right arm droops way down to reach the pitiful sliding armest in the middle.
  5. Engine and road noise - I know this isn't because of the high mileage as I drove four other identical vehicles before settling on this. From what I've experienced so far, Subarus in general are just rattly, tinny cars by design. I know there are lots of mods out there for sound dampening, which I will probably undertake at some point, but after driving an older car with a bigger engine than this, I was a little surprised and disappointed especially by the guttural noises Foresters make when accelerating.
  6. Expensive fluids and components - I'm not used to having to call the dealership for ATF or paying twice what everyone pays for oil and coolant.
  7. Towing capacity - This is such niche complaint for a small SUV, but I will sorely miss being able to tow an actual trailer. I'm glad my little racing dinghy comes in well under the 2000/200 mark.
On that note I love the thing for its handling and performance. The '03 Tribute never got near the EPA numbers for fuel consumption. Even city driving in my '11 Forester has gotten be better mileage than I got on the highway in the old rust-bucket. I'm happy to have a car where oil changes will be so much easier thanks to a brilliant oil filter placement. The interior is a far classier (if a bit cheap in execution), the entertainment system is exactly to my liking (I hate touch screen "infotainment" garbage), it handles over bumps a bit better than what I'm used to, and holy cow that sunroof is like driving a convertible. I love the pop-up hood (my dad was real jealous when he saw that), easily changed headlight bulbs, and even though I'm probably going to get a full-sized spare I do have a lot of respect for the ingenuity of using the foam tray as both storage and a spacer.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Forester Base2
18 Posts
The radio on my base model doesn’t like to play pandora all the time, the radio is really really really slow and STARLINK wants to work when ever it feels like. Been looking to upgrade the radio to an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The radio on my base model doesn’t like to play pandora all the time
For me, it's perfect. I despise all this paid subscription stuff, I just want FM, AM, AUX and Bluetooth. I could definitely see how it would be limiting if you want more than that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Overall happy with the 2020 Forrester, would prefer more rotary nobs vs push buttons. Dash is a little busy and confusing but that seems to be the norm now.

Highway fuel economy is amazing for a full time awd suv.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,846 Posts
I understand exactly. It's pretty much illegal to get confused with a handheld electronic device, but sadly just as dangerous to get similarly involved in a built-in one. I do remember the six actual physical buttons that let me select a station on my radio, way back when.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I understand exactly. It's pretty much illegal to get confused with a handheld electronic device, but sadly just as dangerous to get similarly involved in a built-in one. I do remember the six actual physical buttons that let me select a station on my radio, way back when.
I just recently dumped my '02 Tribute for a 2011 Forester, and the first thing I noticed was how much I missed the intuitive design of older car radios. Luckily there are some similarities. I think we live in a time when new features are added too frequently for there to be a standard or even for there to be enough time for companies to flash out a solid and intuitive radio stack layout. Driving another 2011 car over the weekend and riding in a 2012 confirmed that no, it's not just Subarus, seems like most modern cars have the push-button-plague and lack "finger logic." I'm sure I'll get just as eyes-free with my new-to-me car but they didn't really cluster similar features in certain rows or areas. I'm damned happy that Subaru has selected to hold onto knob-based climate control.

·
Registered
2014 2.0 XT Touring
137 Posts
eats suspension/front-end parts, CVT's poor performance, harmon kardon sound system, and the non-automatic-locking door locks

Reactions: InfiNorth

·
Registered
2015 forester, 6 speeds and a quart of oil
139 Posts
Let's see:

It burns oil from day 1;
The A/C is failing;
It has many rattles and squeaks.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X and XT Manual and Auto
948 Posts
eats suspension/front-end parts, CVT's poor performance, harmon kardon sound system, and the non-automatic-locking door locks
If it makes you feel better, I recently disabled the automatic locks in my '16 Mazda 3s. They work great. You close the door, walk away and it locks. But damned if i didn't get sick of it locking up when i didn't want it to. Maybe when i'm back to commuting everyday i'll change it back, but on recent trips, loading/unloading stuff in the car and having to unlock the car over and over it had me cursing!

·
Registered
2019 Forester
162 Posts
I wouldn't freak out - sure there are complaints but most are annoyances that you get used to. It isn't perfect but no car is. I'm sure if you read a forum for another brand you'd find many of the same complaints

4941 - 4960 of 4970 Posts