Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching the forums for something relating to my question but so far have found nothing. I'm at a loss and would thought I would post my question here.

On our 2000 Forester L model, looking under the carpet on the driver's side floorboard/firewall there is a black rubber pod of sorts mounted to the floor. Leading out from the top of it are two wires which at some point before I purchased this car, had been cut. Directly above this is a hole in the firewall with another set of wires black/green coming out that have been cut.

Does anyone know what these wires might be, and are they critical to proper vehicle operation? :confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated with this.

Here's a picture of the wires in question...
img.photobucket.com/albums/v406/gr8scot/Wires.jpg

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Is that under where the deadpedal would be? Might be a foot operated switch that the previous owner installed. Have you followed where the wires go into the engine bay?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,062 Posts
Two things about the picture don't look stock:
Zip cord is not a common type of wiring

While the green/black cable looks more typical of stock wiring, I wouldn't expect wire to be going through a hole in metal without some sort of grommet.​

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that under where the deadpedal would be? Might be a foot operated switch that the previous owner installed. Have you followed where the wires go into the engine bay?
I would say, yes, this is where the dead pedal should be. There is a hole in the carpet about 3 1/2 inches long running vertically and a smaller hole just above that one. Possibly that is where the former dead pedal mounted through the carpet?

As for the zip cord, I cannot find any other amount of zip cord anywhere. Just what is extending out of that rubber pod. That little pod is fastened to the metal of the car in some way, and is soft and pliable, so it may have been some sort of a pressure switch. I may just pull it off.

From what I can tell the black and green wires exit the firewall through a grommet, just next to the brake master cylinder. There are other wires coming through the grommet as well. It then appears that the wires enter small diameter black plastic conduit and run along some of the factory wiring harness. I'll have to remove the wire from the conduit to see where it runs. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,062 Posts
You could check with an ohmmeter to see if it behaves like a pressure switch. Auxiliary horn, perhaps?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,792 Posts
Does your Forester have a trailer hitch? If so, I'd guess that a pressure switch for trailer brakes. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, so it appears that the rubber pod was some sort of pressure switch, and the other two wires tapped into the wire harness leading into the ignition coil. Ripped the pod out of the car, and will be taking the other wires out tomorrow. There were two screws in the bottom of dash plastics, below the fuse panel door. I'm thinking someone had rigged aux lights to the switch?? Who knows. Anyways, I appreciate your thoughts. Doesn't look like any damage was done to the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts