Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 Forester with a clutch pedal that sticks as it comes up. The slave cylinder's push rod doesn't contact the clutch fork arm at all when not engaged, leaving the arm to vibrate back and forth, making an annoying squeaky belt type of sound. The rod also moves around quite freely, and I don't know how normal that is, or, for that matter, how much play that clutch release arm is supposed to have in it. I found a small amount of liquid on the hose, which may or may not be brake fluid. I haven't bled the line and the master cylinder is at minimum level. The car has 105K miles, but the clutch is brand new.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
The release bearing pushes (or should push) the link arm back into the cylinder, sounds like the release bearing is sticking to me.......

Simon

·
Registered
05 FXT Broken 5-speed
240 Posts
I have an 01 Forester with a clutch pedal that sticks as it comes up. The slave cylinder's push rod doesn't contact the clutch fork arm at all when not engaged, leaving the arm to vibrate back and forth, making an annoying squeaky belt type of sound. The rod also moves around quite freely, and I don't know how normal that is, or, for that matter, how much play that clutch release arm is supposed to have in it. I found a small amount of liquid on the hose, which may or may not be brake fluid. I haven't bled the line and the master cylinder is at minimum level. The car has 105K miles, but the clutch is brand new.
What brand of clutch was installed? Use hi-temp lube on the release (throw-out) bearing?
It does sound like the bearing is sticking. But that could be due to couple different things.
Where is the clutch engaging on the clutch pedal? High, low, or in the middle of pedal travel?
The clutch slave is supposed to have light pressure on the fork. But your pivot ball could be worn out, causing the fork to sit differently than desired.
Absubtle
CO

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
if either slave or clutch master cylinder is bad (leaking pressure) it won't hold the release fork while the clutch pedal is depressed. this should make for possibly hard (noisy) engagement or maybe you would notice it you held the clutch pedal in for a period with the car in gear and brakes on.

i've only ever replaced a slave cylinder once on a car with over 200k miles and it was actually leaking. i think it still worked OK for the most part but I noticed it while I was under the car.

my 2004 got a new Sachs clutch. the first sounded like there were crickets in there chirping at times and the release fork arm moved around a lot ... it should not do that! bad throwout (release) bearing.

2nd Exegy clutch a lot better but getting ready to go in once again due to shudder and another weird noise ... maybe the 3rd time will be the charm?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What brand of clutch was installed? Use hi-temp lube on the release (throw-out) bearing?
It does sound like the bearing is sticking. But that could be due to couple different things.
Where is the clutch engaging on the clutch pedal? High, low, or in the middle of pedal travel?
The clutch slave is supposed to have light pressure on the fork. But your pivot ball could be worn out, causing the fork to sit differently than desired.
Absubtle
CO
The clutch engages quite low on the pedal. I guess a broken pivot ball would make an excellent candidate for a the excessive play/noise and possible misalignment of the clutch fork. I have to use my imagination to see how it would cause the release bearing to stick. I didn't replace the clutch myself, and don't know offhand what brand it is.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update on problem

Turns out the sticking problem was well described by a TSB from 2003 that said to replace the slave cylinder and hose. Actually, the problem was almost completely solved by just thoroughly bleeding the cylinder. Decided to replace the slave and hose anyway. It didn't solve the vibrating/squeaking caused by a slight misalignment of the clutch fork, which may indeed be caused by a worn pivot ball. I didn't open up the housing to find out. Attaching a strong spring to the lever to pull it slightly to one side handled the problem. Kind of a half-assed solution, but it worked.

·
Premium Member
0506 RS/ FXT
196 Posts
My pivot ball broke right off the trans bell housing!:icon_eek: I had the same symptoms as you! Now I need to drill and tap damn thing!:bacon:
Turns out the sticking problem was well described by a TSB from 2003 that said to replace the slave cylinder and hose. Actually, the problem was almost completely solved by just thoroughly bleeding the cylinder. Decided to replace the slave and hose anyway. It didn't solve the vibrating/squeaking caused by a slight misalignment of the clutch fork, which may indeed be caused by a worn pivot ball. I didn't open up the housing to find out. Attaching a strong spring to the lever to pull it slightly to one side handled the problem. Kind of a half-assed solution, but it worked.

·
Premium Member
0506 RS/ FXT
196 Posts
the arm moving freely is normal! But no contact isnt you should remove the rubber boot and inspect to see if it looks ok in there!:Banane08:

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS A/T
12 Posts
Tsb #

Could you please post that TSB that you found on this issue if you still have. I called the dealer related to this and they gave me a "no TSB found" BS line. I do have a 2000 Outback but I believe it is all the same issue
thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts