Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
136 Posts
I'm happy with my Venetian Red Pearl XT. Black/white/silver were too generic for me. I liked the monochromatic look of the tail lights against the slightly darker body. I bought it last summer and was pleased to it chosen as Pantone's 2015 color of the year :)

https://www.pantone.com/pages/index.aspx?pg=21163&from=hpfeatures

...though I would have been all over a forest green if it was available!

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
452 Posts
I'm happy with my Venetian Red Pearl XT. Black/white/silver were too generic for me. I liked the monochromatic look of the tail lights against the slightly darker body. I bought it last summer and was pleased to it chosen as Pantone's 2015 color of the year :)

https://www.pantone.com/pages/index.aspx?pg=21163&from=hpfeatures

...though I would have been all over a forest green if it was available!
I chose the Venetian Red Pearl for the same reason you did- I really like the look of it. Well best of luck if you need to color-match chips in this paint. After a long road trip my front end/hood and all around to the front doors got peppered with chips. I've tried Dr. Colorchip twice (I sent them photos & a paint sample of the first batch they sent me) and so far I haven't gotten a decent color match. Also from what I've found out after researching is these pearl/metallic touch-up paints with tiny metallic-like flecks in them tend to have the flecks lay in the same direction when applied which cancels out that "sparkle" you see in the factory paint. So you get a flatter color/tone than factory. I'm still working on different techniques applying the touch-up paint so I haven't given up yet. None of the chips even approach the size of a pencil eraser width which is what Dr Colorchip says is their limit on expecting a reasonable looking touch up repair.

I can can clearly say that the factory paint is horribly thin and easily damaged, as many here know. I can understand why so many use clear bra film- in my case I would have needed to do all the front end to and including the front doors. Big expense.

·
Registered
2015 Premium Forester CVT
243 Posts
In 2010 I was thinking about getting a Forester, but ended up getting a Honda CRV in light green. I forget the exact name of the color. You could call it money green. I really liked that color. A few weeks ago i traded the Honda in and bought a 2015 Forester and after checking out the colors I chose the Jasmine Green Metallic which is close to the Honda green but a little warmer. I found that color to be forgiving to light scratches and doesn't show dirt as much as the dark colors. :wink2:

·
Registered
2014 XE CVT
1,362 Posts
Another Jasmine Green here! (I thought jasmine was yellow, but never mind).

Restricted range of colours here in the UK, probably due to the low numbers imported. I didn't want a shade of grey from black to white, so it had to be green or blue, and a green one came up at a good price.

Would have had red if available, but I've had three red Subarus, and my previous SH was Sky Blue.

Anyway, happy with the green so far.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
342 Posts
kōbai-iro;4706793 said:
I can can clearly say that the factory paint is horribly thin and easily damaged, as many here know. I can understand why so many use clear bra film- in my case I would have needed to do all the front end to and including the front doors. Big expense.
^ yep. i was moving a plastic shelf out from the backseat and very briefly the side rubbed against the metal painted part of the door frame opening. i purposefully stopped immediately and moved the shelf away from the frame and slid the rest out. i went to check to see if i had to wipe it down and to my disappointment it actually scratched the paint. i am honestly shocked that a plastic shelf edge (one of those ones you snap together) would actually scratch the paint.

i was able to see the scratch b/c the white line stands out against the blue paint

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
^ yep. i was moving a plastic shelf out from the backseat and very briefly the side rubbed against the metal painted part of the door frame opening. i purposefully stopped immediately and moved the shelf away from the frame and slid the rest out. i went to check to see if i had to wipe it down and to my disappointment it actually scratched the paint. i am honestly shocked that a plastic shelf edge (one of those ones you snap together) would actually scratch the paint.

i was able to see the scratch b/c the white line stands out against the blue paint
Honestly Medic, I think you are expecting a little too much from a vehicle in this price category.

Move up a notch or two in the $40 to $50 thousand dollar range and I am sure you will be happy with the paint and everything else with the vehicle. Acura MDX, Mercedes-Benz M-Class, Lexus R350 and R450H, plus many others in this range. You might find the quality a tad better than a $22,000 Subaru Forester. No matter which way you look at it, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
342 Posts
Honestly Medic, I think you are expecting a little too much from a vehicle in this price category.

Move up a notch or two in the $40 to $50 thousand dollar range and I am sure you will be happy with the paint and everything else with the vehicle. Acura MDX, Mercedes-Benz M-Class, Lexus R350 and R450H, plus many others in this range. You might find the quality a tad better than a $22,000 Subaru Forester. No matter which way you look at it, you get what you pay for.
going with the luxury brand of an auto manufacturer doesn't necessarily mean you will get a better quality paint at all, in fact in many cases it's the same type of paint (different color).
telling me i should have gone with a $50,000 MDX is deflecting the recognition that the Forester scratches extremely easily.

the enamel paint that i used on my door trim and baseboard trim in my house appears to have a higher brinell hardness than whatever Subaru used on this thing

in fairness to Subaru and the industry, there are a lot of constraints on the manufacturers with regards to paint. it's a balancing act between added weight, cost, environmental concerns, the list goes on. everything about paint technology and process application are exponentially better than what was used in the 90's and early 2000's. it's just a matter now of manufacturers balancing paint durability and hardness with the cost and added weight to the vehicle

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
going with the luxury brand of an auto manufacturer doesn't necessarily mean you will get a better quality paint at all
Maybe, maybe not, but the odds are you will.

.........you get what you pay for 99.9% of the time.

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,185 Posts
Best - Its not a normal subie color that i see 10 of on every commute (Sage Green).
Worst - Its not Steel Blue Mica.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
13 Posts
while it looks blue during the day, at night it turns purple which is not very appealing

if you don't like a purple look at night, avoid the Quartz Blue. if i could re-do it, i would have gone with black
you need glasses ,,,my white don't look blue or purple

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
143 Posts
Good ol' CBS. When it's clean the metallic flake against the black looks absolutely stunning. Keeping it that way is the hard part. Even if it doesn't rain, the dew on a humid morning is enough to ruin the look. Unfortunately due to my traveling job I can only keep it in the garage two days a week at best.

Then there's the joys of a black interior in summer. Got a Weathertech sunshade that helps with that, but it's just enough to keep the wheel from being too hot to touch.

Black on black wouldn't have been my first choice, but the condition, service history, combination of options and the price were too hard to pass up.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,484 Posts
My Forester is red, and my wife"s is blue. She gets more false positives than I when surveying the parking lot. Blue Subarus are ubiquitous. And they rhyme.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
77 Posts
Mine is sage green metallic, don't stand out from the crowd, thieves don't even look at it.
Trade-in, this color worths the least amount probably.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts