Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a Fozzy SF5 S-turbo.
Great car but i'm afraid i can't keep it stock as far as performance is concerned :biggrin:

I know the drivetrain and Engine are like the Impreza GT Turbo but it has a smaller turbo (TD035 if i'm not mistaken) and the ECU would need to be remapped.

My questions ?

- What are exactly the differences between the EJ20 engine in the Sf5 and the Turb Impreza ?

- Are there dimension/space limitations in modyfing the engine, for instance do thicker TMIC's fit in the SF5 aswell ? Is a FMIC possible without too much trouble ?

Thanks in advance and i would appreciate ANY performance tip/suggestion from those who would do it differently if they had to do it again.

·
Registered
1997 S/TB
245 Posts
EU SF5 engine has milder lift cams than the equivalent Impreza and TF035 turbo. JDM S/tb & T/tb have the same cams and same turbo (TD04)

Because of the body lift that the forester has, there's actually more space between the bonnet and intercooler. If, however, you plan to remove the body lift spacers at a later date, then you'll get pretty much the same space I believe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks !
So, cams and the turbo. Ok, the turbo is an easy 'fix' however changing the cams is a major operation .......

Could you explain the body lift spacers ? What is that exactly ?

·
Registered
1997 S/TB
245 Posts
Is it Mike? I was under the impression that if you got an Impreza automatic gearbox cradle, you could do it. What else causes problems?

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
tried it one mine and it tipped the engine back against the bulk head which rattles you teeth out. If someones tried it with the impreza cradle then its after I tried it as I stopped reading that thread some time ago. Sooooooo long! :biggrin:

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
One of the chaps on OzFoz has done the Impreza trans cradle swap.....

Simon

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tried it one mine and it tipped the engine back against the bulk head which rattles you teeth out. If someones tried it with the impreza cradle then its after I tried it as I stopped reading that thread some time ago. Sooooooo long! :biggrin:
It's indeed a WHOLE LOT of information and not all was very ontopic.
I read most of it and from what i understand is that the body is actually raised from the chassis using blocks ? Removing those will drop the body a tad while the actual chassis and drivetrain remain at the same height.
In effect it's creates a lowering effect while the drivetrain and chassis don't come closer to the ground.

Am i close ?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
No....

Ride height is set by the springs and where they join the body, however if you lower the car you can remove the spacers to reset the suspension geometry (bottom arm inclination and so roll angle and camber change profile in bump) to suite the lowering.

You can lower the car by about 1" without harming the geometry, much more than that and you need to either fit roll centre adjusters or remove the spacers to keep the geometry correct.

Simon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts