Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zip Code Select | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Synthetic blend so no telling what the ratio of syn to dino is, but note it says not for LSD's that their yellow label product is for LSD's... so I wonder if this might work in the Subaru Manual trans for a gear oil?

GL5 syn blend with no LS friction modifiers. Unk price, might be crazy $$$.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Meh, why bother?

If you want to try it, I'm sure it'll work. But I wouldn't tempt fate. Anyone claiming a reduction in wear and friction by 50%, but with no substantiating information, immediately perks my attention. Wear and friction are not the same thing. You can have friction, but low wear, and vice-versa. This fluid's blurb claims to reduce two mutually exclusive failure modes by half. That is a tall glass of milk.

I'll stick with the Motul/Smurfblood mix.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mainly because I saw it on O'Reilly's site and Autozone sells it too, I think its around $8.99/qt. Being a syn/dino blend GL-5 instead of full syn and having no limited slip friction modifiers (it says do not use the red label version in LSD's) I was thinking it might offer good synchro operation, i.e it wouldn't be too slick for the synchros.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, probably Lakewood is not making this stuff, so they are most likely private labeling fluid from an actual blender, question is who. The red dye is interesting, probably a special touch put in for Lakewood by the blender... purely a marketing aid most likely.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
I don't think "too slick for synchro operation" is a valid concern when it comes to gear oils. The more I've seen over the years, my experience leads me to worry more about bearing life and duarbility, putting synchro operation second.

One of the biggest counters to the "too slick for synchros" argument is Shockproof.

Shockproof contains more friction modifiers (i.e. components to reduce friction) than almost any other gear oil. THAT is why it is not recommended for use in synchro transmissions. But, time after time, and year after year, Shockproof is the standard for improving synchro operation.

Synchros don't operate solely on friction metal-to-metal. In fact, they don't operate on that principal at all. What they operate on is the same thing engine bearings operate on (and to some extent roller-bearings). Hydrostatic pressure. Without getting too much into fluid dynamics, the principle is apparent. Fluid plays a critical role in transferring force from the synchro ring to the gear surface. If you DO apply fluid dynamics, viscosity is the overruling principle of that equation, not necessarily internal friction.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for that info on synchros. It is good to get some straight info, since I have been wandering the net trying to figure out the deal on synchros and these GL-5 gear oils with LS friction modifers or without LS friction modifiers and the effects on synchro operation.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
No problem. It was a realization I had been overlooking for years because I never really thought about it.

Modifiers is complicated. There are modifiers to increase friction, and modifiers to decrease friction.

Unless you have a front clutch-type, you don't want limited slip modifiers. Limited Slip modifiers aren't the same as Friction modifiers. They are opposite actually, at least how I describe them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts