Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2001 sf6 now w/choo choo 4EAT
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I get first endlinks or swaybars?

I would like this mod to help me get around corners quicker/less roll.

Right now my funds are limited, so I am gonna take it one part at a time.
What is gonna do the most to improve handling? swaybar or endlinks? should i get front or rear?

Right now I am leaning towards getting a front swaybar and rear subframe bolts, and leaving the stock endlinks on until I get more $$$.
bang for buck. endlinks or swaybar?:bacon::bacon::bacon:thanks

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Get a used 20mm RSB from an 02/03 WRX ($20 or so used). The front is a decent size already, so just do endlinks up there to start.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
End links by themselves aren't going to make any difference. They are just connectors (between the suspension and the sway bar)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Do the bars first. I use a Whiteline 22mm front and FHI 20mm rear and like that combo a lot. The 22 front flattens cornering more than just the rear 20 by itself and keeps the stock front/rear balance so you don't get into trouble with the rear end wanting to come around on wet or gravel roads. The end links would be a nice addition later but they aren't really required until you go to heavier on the bars (i.e. 24-26 front and 24 and up rear) and they don't give you that much of a bang for the buck.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I replaced my rear endlinks with KB ones when i went to a 19mm STI RSB, just because they're so much easier to work with, however the front links are easier to work with (they actually have way to hold them while unbolting unlike the rears). The links will have no real effect on handling unless your stock links are worn.

You can get the 19/20mm sti rsb really cheap, and then just pickup some new oem STI mounts, brackets, and bushings. Changing the rear will help roll, but the front has more of an effect on initial turn in etc. I'd probably do the sti rear bar first, and then see where to go from there. I got my sti bar for 30$ used and then all new mounts and hardware for about another 50$, definitely the best bang for the buck mod out there.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
People upgrade the endlinks and tabs they connect to because the stiffer sway bar can mangle one if not both. I put on kartboy endlinks with tab supports when I did the sti bar upgrade. It might be slightly overkill, but I don't have to worry about breaking anything. I installed some struts on someone;s car the other day that had sti pink sway bars with stock endlinks. They were bent like spaghetti and ready to go anytime...

As said before, the endlinks do not do anything to improve the handling on their own, they are upgraded because they can break if change sway bars.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
however the front links are easier to work with (they actually have way to hold them while unbolting unlike the rears).
The rears do have a way to hold them too. Just different. Instead of using a 5mm hex key at the end of the bolt, you use a wrench on the other side of the rubber thingy. Both methods failed for me because the bolts were too corroded.
So in the end I just cut the bolts with a dremel tool: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f62/what-did-you-do-your-subie-today-71049/index16.html#post798673

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Seconding upgrading both. The front being arguably more important due to the camber curve challenged nature of Subies front suspension geometry. Not sure about the early models but the SGs came with steel links so really no improvements to be had there.

Performance alignment should really be first.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i guess I am afraid that my end links will break in the rear if i go to a 20 or 22mm RSB. I dont drive like a crazy person though so maybe i will be ok for a while.\

The plastic end links bend when cornering....so if they were upgraded it would improve the cornering right? I feel like I would get much more out of my stock sway bars if the end links were not plastic.

I have never liked the idea of used suspension parts, although cheap, I am still wanting to get a new whiteline RSB.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
Just to make sure the point Galager made above doesn't get overlooked: If you go with stiffer rear sway bars in the rear, you might need rear link supports. The welded tabs have been known to fail with stiffer bars.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Subframe bolts sound like a good, cheap thing to do. Endlinks without the bars aren't going to give you much and it's double-the-work. If you are set on getting a bigger front bar, you should be able to run it with stock endlinks. I ran a 22mm rear bar with stock endlinks and no extra support for a while too, but I was lowered on Swifts, on stock springs there may be more of an issue.

Stan

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advice. I think im gonna start with a RSB and rear subframe bolts.
I was looking for rear link supports but had no luck. I understand these could fail if not upgraded.
My goal is to auto-x my car by the last event of this season. but have to go one part at a time for now because I am a starving artist (lol).

My next upgrade (after RSB, subframebolts) will likely be a FSB and endlinks all around. Then stiffer springs for my kybgrt2s

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
If you auto-x, I'd suggest looking into an adjustable rear bar so you'd have something else to "play" with besides air pressure. I don't think stock endlinks are plastic, I thought they were steel, but I could be wrong -- it's been a little while since I saw them last.

Stan

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the endlinks on my01 are plastic.....subaru what were you thinking??:icon_rolleyes:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,462 Posts
On my '03 X I waited way too long to upgrade the suspension. When I upgraded to RalliTEK 22mm front sway bar & a RalliTEK 19mm rear sway bar, both solid, what a difference! :biggrin: You can see more info on my post here.

I took a different route on my '07 FSXT. My research told me doing the RSB would be enough. I went with a COBB lightweight tubular 25mm adjustable rear sway bar. You can see my installtion write up here. This was a mistake! It greatly increased the tendency of the Forester to oversteer! :icon_eek: I installed a COBB 25mm lightweight tubular front sway bar! You can view my installation write up here. Adding the FSB got rid of the oversteering & now my '07 FSXT handles as good as my '03 X, nice & flat on my favorite twisty roads. :cool:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
I was looking for rear link supports but had no luck. I understand these could fail if not upgraded.
I got mines here: IxizConcept (under control/enlink support)
If you use a similar setup, you'll need longer bolts than what usually comes with the endlink kit since obviously the support has some width to it (I found that out late on Easter Sunday. Luckily the local auto store had some grade 8 in the right thread and length)

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The SF gen foresters already have a double tab, they use the WRX style C shape droplink setup instead of the STI style link that the SG uses. Upgrading the plastic ones to metal would be a pretty good idea.

A used RSB won't be any different than a new one aside from price. I repainted the used STI bar I got and its holding up better than the oem one (used etching primer and a few coats of black).

The SF is going to be a bit different than an SG as it uses VERY tiny sway bars front and rear, so you would probably be best to upgrade both the front and rear.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
anybody know of any sub-frame bolt install pictures/instructions, other than the ones it came with?
are the bolts supposed to be flush? i am assuming they arent

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow Bobby. I searched for about 2 hours and didnt find those threads! You are the man!!
I have them installed now, thankfully I followed my instincts and installed them correctly.
The car feels much better. im lovin it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts