Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester X 2.5 Manual
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if there is a thread for this already (couldn't see one), but I'm interested! There's a fair bit of room above the spare wheel in the back for you to keep things that don't need to be used all the time and are better kept out of sight.

I recently got new tires (BFG KO 225/70/16's) and can't fit the full size spare in the back until the tread is worn down a bit so now I have even more room! Thought it'd be interesting to see what everyone keeps tucked away in their spare wheel well!

I had most of this sitting on top of the spare before I changed tires.
-OEM jack and tools (plus a block of wood so I can still use OEM jack now I have a 2" lift
-Bag of tools so I can do basic work on the car if necessary and I'm not at home
-Socket set
-Bike lock and straps for when I put the new spare on the roof racks
-Air compressor
-Recovery kit (bow shackles and snatch strap)
-Chamois
-Microfibre towel
-Sunvisor
-A little wire hook I made to hook between the middle child restraint point and the pull tab for the false floor so I don't have to rest it on my head all the time :smile2:

I'd like to see what everyone else keeps in there and maybe it will give me ideas of more things I can store in there!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2009 Forester 2.5 Limited Auto
346 Posts
Full size spare.... HD Jumper cables ...... air compressor.... Tie down straps. Trailer hitch pin. Factory tools and jack.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,785 Posts
I think there is another thread like this somewhere, but I can't find it. Here is my stuff.

I packed an air compressor, tow strap (3"x30', 30k pound rating), original jack, D-Ring/clevis on the left. There is also a bag with ratchet straps in it (Subaru bag at top)

I had to deflate the spare tire to get the back floor to fit level. This is why I carry the portable air compressor.

Note: The foam tray that was on top of the donut does not fit.

DSCN2339 by jasplund91, on Flickr

DSCN2341 by jasplund91, on Flickr

Rear floor fits flat

DSCN2342 by jasplund91, on Flickr

·
Registered
2010 2.5x Touring 5MT
24 Posts
Compact spare (really do need to replace that), factory tools and jack. Jumper cables. The trailer hitch, when it's not installed, and also some basic tools for taking care of immediate issues on the road. A small bag of traction compound in case it's ever needed by me or anybody else.

One replacement bulb for every type in the Foz. That way I always have them on hand when I need them, and I'm not stuck having to use whatever the local parts store happens to have in stock.

The previous set of windshield wiper blades. When I replace them, I keep the old set in the packaging for the new set. That way, if I ever damage a blade (especially in the winter), I've got a replacement to install right away and use until I can get a new blade.

I also keep a basic emergency kit (including a hand-crank LED flashlight and a folding shovel) in a bag stashed in behind one of the side cargo nets, but that's off topic since it's not actually in the wheel well. I add stuff to it if I'll be driving long distances or through more isolated areas in the winter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reading all these reminded me I had bought a small folding shovel a week ago and had never put it in the car! Added that in today and I'm thinking the next thing I will be adding will be jumper cables.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think there is another thread like this somewhere, but I can't find it.
Think I just stumbled across it without looking actually, but it started off as a thread about jacks and only moved to what everyone keeps in the back as everyone got sidetracked and it is from 6-7 years ago.

Although I would enjoy seeing pics of everyone's set up (possibly giving me ideas to organise mine and just out of general interest), I realised after making this thread these wouldn't be pictures people would likely to have taken already and would have to go out and take them. I probably should have posted this in perhaps the General Forum or something

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Forester X with a 5 speed
12 Posts
Hi all,
I’ve downsized from a from a Ford excursion to a forester recently and there seems to be less interior space. Weird huh? I’m wondering what “stuff” you keep in yours. And where you find the space to store it. I have searched for an interior modification/d.i.y. thread that addresses this and haven’t found one, but I’m betting there are some pretty genius level solutions out there.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,354 Posts
Lol, I don't store anything in the Subaru. Only thing I carry are oil, coolant, funnel, tools.

If I stored anything else there would be no space and an invitation for theft.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Lineartronic® CVT
259 Posts
"Stuff" stays with me, I don't just stuff "stuff" in a car and just leave it there. I only stuff "stuff" in a hidden place while in the post office, hospital, or Dr. office ... but when I return, "stuff" is returned to my "stuff" carrier or pocket.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My back windows are tinted so I don’t tend to worry about someone stealing anything.
I tend to carry my backpack, hiking boots and a book or two. I keep a knife in the pocket of the drivers door. A good first aid kit, a toolbox, and a fire extinguisher.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
29 Posts
In our '06--

All the way under the cargo tray I keep jumper cables coiled up inside the spare, plus a quart of gear oil wedged in the side.

In the foam tray that goes over the spare, in addition to the factory jack, I keep: ball hitch, 2 quarts of ATF, tow strap, 4 ratchet straps, 2 bungee cords, breaker bar, axe.

In the back seat passenger side footwell and under the front passenger seat (unused space due to daughter's car seat above) I keep: a full 3/8" metric ratchet set, metric wrench set, zippered tool bag with a pretty generous assortment of hand tools and jerry-rig repair stuff, and oil. In the winter a shovel and scraper/brush combo gets added on top. In the pouch on the back of the passenger seat we keep the Haynes manual and a collapsible dog bowl.

Might seem like a lot of crap to be hauling around but it's organized and gives us peace of mind out in the middle of nowhere in a 15 year old vehicle. Haven't needed help yet (knocking on wood here). The way we have it all set up keeps the cargo area completely open and doesn't reduce the use of the back seat anymore than the car seat already does.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,639 Posts
I've seen Subarus with the spare tire mounted on a roof rack which frees up the spare tire well for EDC stuff.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,022 Posts
Hmm, some emergency things like a compressed air and tire plug, jumper cables, some fuses, bungees, and some tools in case I break down. I also started carrying a tow strap, extra flashlights, and zip ties. It's all organized nicely under the rear cargo floor and in a setback pouch system for my rear seats.

·
Registered
2020 Silver Sport
170 Posts
As a Certified "Stuff" Instructor, I tend to agree with CrystalPistol. The best place for your personal "stuff" is on your person.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Under Floor

Upper/Forward Space
  • Road flares
  • Folding shovel ("entrenching tool")
  • Duct tape (in zip-lock bag)
  • Utility wire
  • Large adjustable wrench
  • Ratchet driver w/ sockets
Lower/Rear Space
  • WD-40
  • Fix-A-Flat (in case I care more about expediency than the tire)
  • Jumper cables
  • Funnel
  • Wheel chocks
  • Tow straps
  • Zip ties
Left Side
  • Pliers
  • Needle-nose pliers
  • Diagonal cutters
  • Hex/allen keys
  • Small adjustible wrench
  • High-viz gloves
  • Plastic push rivets
Right Side
  • Hand warmer
  • Multi-bit screwdriver
  • Spare fuses (in pill case)
  • Fuse puller/tester
  • 12V extension
  • 12V splitter
  • Plastic push rivets
First Aid Kit

first_aid_kit_1.jpg.jpg first_aid_kit_2.jpg.jpg first_aid_kit_3.jpg.jpg

Watertight Case

Top Left Tray
  • hydrocolloid gel bandages
  • gloves
  • elastic strap
  • CPR mouthpiece
  • burn gel (lidocaine & aloe)
  • motion sickness pills
  • antihistamine pills
  • alcohol pads
  • benzalkonium pads
  • medical tape
  • bandage shears
  • non-stick pads
  • burn treatment pads
Right Top Tray
  • adhesive bandages
  • more gloves
  • finger splints
  • safety pins
  • lancets
  • tweezers
  • smelling salts (inhalation stimulant)
  • antacid tablets (calcium)
  • eye wash ampules
  • gauze pads
Lower Tray
  • roll gauze​
  • arm sling​
  • self-adherent wrap​
  • CPR mouthpiece​
  • mylar blanket​
  • instant cold pack​
  • large gauze sponges & pads​
  • quick-clot sponge​
  • glow stick (in case of rave)​
Not Shown - Plastic Crate
  • Electric road beacons
  • High-viz vest
  • Collapsible road cone
  • Orange flag
  • Orange marking tape
  • Paper towels in zip lock bag
  • 550 lumen handheld spotlight

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5 CVT base model
296 Posts
Very neat!! I have two of those useless recesses on the left of your picture. We have them on the left and right. You just have the left one.
Anyway, I've put a half height panel across mine covered with thin ,grey marine carpet. I now have two useful compartments for sunscreen, bug repellent , gloves, rag, e.t.c. I can get to that stuff without unloading and lifting the cover panel.
I pretty much use those compartments every day.
Not hard to do, just some thin board covered with carpet and some adhesive..
If I wasn't so tech bereft, I would send a photo.
Is that an additional speaker on the right side?

·
Registered
171 Posts
@Surfrat - Yah, if you have the upgraded audio package, the right space is taken for a subwoofer. In the left space I have a bag with bungee cords, straps, biner clips, etc. The bag is clipped to the bag hangers so it stays put.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do any of you have a good solution to latch or lock down the floor board that lays on top? In the case of a roll I'd like everything to stay put down there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts