Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted everyone to know that we had a great experience with Wentworth Subaru's internet sales department. We live in the valley and had contact with five or six other dealers in the area, but Wentworth stood out from the others; making it worth the drive to Portland. We agreed on a price and financing ahead of time and were in and out of the dealership in under an hour. There was no pressure to purchase add-ons at the time purchase, which is usually such a hassle.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Auto
40 Posts
Portland: Wentworth Subaru bad experience!

My 06 FXT ignition lock cylinder broke on Saturday evening while I was parked at Pittock Mansion doing the tourist thing for my brother and sister in law who were in town. Since all the dealers were closed, and I'm new in town, and Pittock's gates were closing in a couple hours, I had it towed to Wentworth Subaru. Called them first thing when they opened Monday morning, I spoke to the service manager Debby, who said it would be $750. When I asked for a breakdown of that I wasn't given a complete breakdown other than $250 for labor and $440 for the parts. After a subsequent call, I pressed her on the part and found it to be a 83191SA040 Ignition Assembly Switch ($333 is MSRP, I'd expect to pay that at a dealer). So that explains $333, but the other $417 appeared to be labor and miscellaneous other charges (colloquially known as "nickel and diming").

Well I called a couple other Subaru dealers and found out that the mitchell book time for changing out this part is 2.0 hours - although I did find a non-dealer who said it was only 1.4 hours. I knew Wentworths labor rate was $98 so I was curious how it got up to $417.

Every time I spoke to Debby, the story was a bit different, from $36 in shipping, a $98 diagnosis fee, a $60 diagnosis fee, a $75 lock reprogramming fee (of which the other dealers said all programming/key matching was included in the 2 hours labor), and Debby also said the labor was 2.5 hours - thats NOT including the "reprogramming", which was $75 extra.

Not sure what the point of book time is if they charge more than that, and don't include parts of the labor in it, but I guess thats how Wentworth does business.

Anyways, long story short I ended up getting it re-towed to Carr Subaru in Beaverton, at my expense, who quoted me at the same $333 for the part plus 2.0 hours labor inclusive of everything.

For the amount of time I've spent going back and forth with Wentworth and getting my car re-towed, it's costing me more, but I had no faith in Wentworth, and I don't like feeling screwed.. I caught Debby in lies numerous times - first she quoted my part at $440 until I pressed her on the part number and looked it up myself, then she said I'd need to pay $36 for express shipping to get it there in 4-5 days, then when I called back after not paying the extra $36 and missing the 11am deadline to order it Monday, she said it should be there in 1-2 days. This was far from the only discrepancy.

When I asked what the $98 or $60 (it changed) diagnostic fee was for, she said they had to disassemble the steering column to find out what the problem was. Well the problem was obvious - the key wouldn't turn in the lock - so this sounded odd. I asked to speak to the mechanic who disassembled it, she disappeared and reappeared 5 minutes later and said she was wrong, he just sprayed lubricant in it and it would only be $24 for his time. I guess she couldn't talk a mechanic into bull****ting me to my face.

I said "$24 for someone to spray WD-40 in my ignition?" and she said yeah. Talk about nickel and diming.

So well done Wentworth - not only did you lose this job but you pissed off a potential customer by repeatedly trying to screw me and lying to me. And I'm going to happily share my tale with other PDX Subie owners, too (starting right here!)

Rob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts