Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XT Touring CVT
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new job starting soon and need a 2nd car quick. We love our Forester but need more room. We looked at Telluride, Ascent, Pilot, Highlander. All too expensive!

Figured we'd get something less expensive for me just to commute and then save up for something in three years. Never leased before - but after looking used for a long time - we decided to give it a try. This is going to be a car we want to trade-in after 3 years. We want to keep our Forester since it's paid off.

Went into the dealer and they gave me two quotes for a sign and drive/0 out the door 10k 36month: 300 for a base Impreza. 370 for a Premium CrossTrek. II ended up liking the CrossTrek. "That seems a little high..." - so they lowered it to 330 for the CrossTrek. Was almost going to take the CrossTrek - but then figured I'd do some research. Spent a couple days on LeaseHackr and found people were getting Tacomas for super cheap. If I had time and nerve to go thru a broker - they could have gotten me a nice one for around 300/mo.

Ended up getting a nice Tacoma TRD Sport for 330/mo - no money down. Not sure why Subaru leases are so expensive - maybe it was just that particular dealer? Still not sure this was really the right decision or if I really got that good of a deal, but we'll see.

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,450 Posts
I hope you did an extended test drive with the Tacoma.. I had a 2017 and got rid of it for my '18 FXT because I absolutely HATED the transmission in that thing. Upshift, bog, lag, downshift, race, upshift, bog, lag, repeat.

Maybe they fixed the tune by now but I had the OVTune on it and even then I couldn't get over how bad it drove. I had actually gone to CO for a family trip and had a crosstrek rental while owning the Taco and that was what convinced me to come back to Subaru...it was underpowered and slow but at least it did what my right foot was telling it to do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Once the deal is done, you might as well conclude that it was the perfect deal! Nothing can be gained by second guessing the decision.

I have never leased, I put too many miles on a vehicle. If you know you will have it for 3 years and you will put about the number of miles in the contract and you keep your vehicles in good enough shape to turn it over at the end, a lease may be a great deal for you.

Some manufacturers have great lease deals from time to time. You may have hit the right deal at the right time. Congratulations.

·
Registered
2014 XT Touring CVT
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's correct it doesn't drive as smoothly as the CrossTrek or my FXT that's true!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts