Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2004 Forester XS Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, yesterday I bought a 2004 Forester XS from the same dealer I bought my new Impreza wagon from. Super nice condition in and out, 1 owner, all maintenance done at the dealer, and only 72k miles.

When I test drove it (we went for a nice long ride, around town and on the highway) it drove awesome - literally as well as my '07 Impreza 2.5i Wagon. The Forester was already warmed up, as it had just come back from another test drive.

Bought it, drove it home, parked it for the night. When I went out to start it this morning (it's pretty cold these days, about 10 degrees or so) it made a loud rattle or clacking sound until it warmed up - after 10 minutes or so. Doesn't have any metal-on-metal clang to it, and it doesn't sound like lifter tick (as a Mazda owner, I know what normal cold-startup lifter clatter sounds like.) Seems like it's a common issue for '04-'05 Foresters, and I found the TSB involving the timing belt tensioner and bracket.

I know better than to test drive a car that has already been warmed up, but I overlooked it as the car was so nice and relatively new. They gave me maintenance records and an extensive inspection sheet which included listening for unusual engine noises. I didn't opt for any of their extended warranty packages.

What are my chances that they'll fix it? If they don't, what's it going to cost? I'm pretty mechanically inclined - can I do it myself if they won't?

Bummer that this is my first post here.

· Registered
2004 Forester XS Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm pretty sure this isn't piston slap - it's distinctly not a metal-on-metal sound, and it's coming from the front of the engine.

However, thanks for the good info about used car warranties. It's going back to the dealer this morning. Hopefully it can be fixed - it's in beautiful shape otherwise.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts