Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all
Ive got a strange starting issue .
Since I got my Bucket seats I have often started the car without getting in it e.g putting my foot on the clutch from outside with the door open and turning the key and boom it would start , I do this so I can then potter about in the garage whilst It warms up . this means I don't have to actually climb into the seat to start the car.
But now the car wont start in this way . Now I have to climb into the seat depress the clutch to make it start .

Any ideas?

·
Registered
231 Posts
When you sit in it to start it, do you have the door closed? If it needs the door closed before it will start, I would guess it’s to do with the alarm/immobiliser restricting it in some way.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Maybe pushing on the clutch pedal has allowed it to develop some "play" in the mechanism and so doesn't always hit the clutch pedal switch?
And now needs to be correctly aligned to hit the clutch pedal switch thingy, that sitting in the seat and pressing, happens to allow?

Just a guess

Don't have this problem with UK models, they start fine without pushing the clutch pedal - Or mine does anyway :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did wonder about that but why could I do it before and not now and why does it always start when im in the seat .

I have had a couple of instances where the starter motor has just spun but not flung its self out to engage the flywheel literally twice in the last 2 months but only when sat in the seat.

I have changed the battery in the fob so could the alarm be doing this after 3 years of good service ?

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe pushing on the clutch pedal has allowed it to develop some "play" in the mechanism and so doesn't always hit the clutch pedal switch?
And now needs to be correctly aligned to hit the clutch pedal switch thingy, that sitting in the seat and pressing, happens to allow?

Just a guess

Don't have this problem with UK models, they start fine without pushing the clutch pedal - Or mine does anyway :grin2:
Yes that might make sense as when out of the car the pedal will be pushed at strange angle. what blooming idiot would modify a perfectly good car to the point where he doesn't want to get in it to start it ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sound odd - could be a dodgy switch needing full force of you sitting in the seat to connect. You can bypass the clutch switch for info with no ill effects - just bridge the connector with some suitable wire & tape up.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Do you always depress your clutch on start-up? I only ever when I'm in the seat by a force of habit but when I'm outside the car like you do to let her warm I don't and never have.
Seems an odd one there bud.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because its forged and there is a lot of piston slap when cold it takes a few minutes to warm . does yours start without the clutch down ?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Oooooh I see and yup it sure does. I'm not a guru but surely oversized rings would sort out any slap.... Oh hang on I'm guessing yours maybe a 2.1 stroker? So that would mean it's a bored 2 ltr... No? So would have oversized rings anyway?
So many questions.... 🙂

Edit: Maybe just forget everything I'm on about as I don't really know what I'm on about.
So generally the JDM cars need to have the clutch pedal pressed to start? I didn't know this as mine doesn't. Maybe thats why there's a wire loop on the clutch switch behind the pedal on mine. Well you learn something here everyday... Cue embarrassed face.
Looks like the connector has been disconnected and a loop put in.. See pic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Andy thanks for that I may have to do the same thing ,
The engine is an ej 22t with a 2.5 arrow crank so stroked to 2.35 its exactly the same bottom end as the Lateral Banana car built by the
same guy Paul Finch so in theory its capable of 850hp ……. the bottom end that is not the top end as Engine tuner proved .

as far as I know all jdm cars need the clutch depressed to start and all have indicators on the wrong or right side depending on your viewpoint also they have that annoying reverse beeper and sedans have rear window wipers .

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Ah I see and wow.
Yes I'd give the loop between the male connector/female spades a shot as shown in the pic. Obviously whoever done it in mine found the correct female connector/male spades like on the clutch switch to make it look tidier and less chance of the spades getting caught and falling out. less hassle than having to stick a foot in the car or having to sit in to start her.

I also read a few things on the slap and forged pistons so kinda know a wee bit more than I did earlier haha. More silicone in the metal when forging causes less slap when cold.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yup indies on the opposite side and yup that annoying reverse beep, also key in the ignition and door open beep too. I've found both the culprits under the dash as it happens when taking that pic so may have to at least disconnect the key in ignition door open beeper as it's just so annoying.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Just a guess

The problem is definitely this ^^^^ sitting on the bolster pushing the clutch at a less acute angle the car starts .
so problem solved .

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

as far as I know all jdm cars need the clutch depressed to start and all have indicators on the wrong or right side depending on your viewpoint also they have that annoying reverse beeper and sedans have rear window wipers .
Are you sure all Japanese cars have that? I don't remember the R33 GTR having that........It did need the clutch pushed in to start and had the rear wiper and indicators on the opposite side...

Glad you figured it out, from another who stands next to the car to start it before getting in.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
5,525 Posts
Yup indies on the opposite side and yup that annoying reverse beep, also key in the ignition and door open beep too. I've found both the culprits under the dash as it happens when taking that pic so may have to at least disconnect the key in ignition door open beeper as it's just so annoying.
AFAICR the reverse beep is inside the BIU unit.

"Back in the day" this has been looked into but once again the forum search facility is NBU again.

However eventually found it...

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/silencing-reverse-beep-80124/

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you sure all Japanese cars have that? I don't remember the R33 GTR having that........It did need the clutch pushed in to start and had the rear wiper and indicators on the opposite side...

Glad you figured it out, from another who stands next to the car to start it before getting in.
Sorry that was a sweeping statement I meant Subaru I wouldn't know about the GTR but would be happy to be proved wrong .

And thanks Don for bringing back that @fpan thread I had read it before but I was a very new then and didn't find anything annoying about the fsti , I also remember reading that someone commented that the duck tape perishes which it does but only in sun light .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thoughts on starting the engine.

Nothing original here, so forgive me if you know all this already. I have 1 2011 Forester with manual Trans.

The purpose behind requiring one to depress the clutch pedal (in a standard) oir shift to neutral or park (in an automatic) is safety, so that you don't start the engine with the car in gear and have it jump forward or backward and flatten some innocent little kiddie (or dog or the garage wall). So far as I know (but I'll admit that I've never tried it), you don't actually have to be sitting in the driver's seat to start the engine (although it's probably the most obvious and easiest way to do it—I don't believe (at least in my 2011) that you literally have to have your butt in the driver's seat to start the engine (but let's not give the safety Nazis any hot ideas!).

You probably can't do it with an automatic, but you can jump-start the engine on a manual transmission (at least in my 2011 Forester).

My 1986 GMC pickup with automatic requires the shifting to neutral or park to start the engine (this is a bloody nuisance when you stall out while plowing snow). My 1978 Jeep CJ-5 with manual has none of these "modern conveniences.

I have strong personal preferences for manual transmissions, and given Subaru's decision to drop them in the Forester, I probably won't buy another new Subaru Forester. I believe that 2018 (or maybe 2017) was the last year for Foresters with manual transmissions. Well, barring crashes or serious problems, I have a few years yet to go with my 2011.

By the way, has anybody had any experience with the new CVT? How does it compare to a manual? Does it use a manual clutch or is it simply a different take on an automatic transmission?

As for disabling the clutch switch, yes that's certainly easy enough to do. Just don't accidentally disable the cruise control disable or you might get a rude surpise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
7 Participants
btlbcc
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing