Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve got a 2011 Forester, n/a and it’s my first Subaru. Haven’t had problems up until lately. It started out as a small squealing sound that would only show up after a decent highway trip. I’d get off the highway and could hear the squealing. It almost sounds exactly like a belt squeal, and would kinda fade out once I slowed down to under 30mph. Now about a month later it’s almost there everytime I’m driving regardless of if the cars hot or cold. Any speed above 20or30 and it starts squealing. I can be driving at 45 and put the car in neutral and the rpms will drop but the squeal will stay the same, so I know it’s not the belt. It happened before and after putting all new brakes in, so I know it’s not the brakes. (I also had a cv shaft that was popping on turns that I replaced, and fixed it at first, but soon after it started popping again, but only when putting the car in reverse/drive when it’s cold. Not sure if that would have anything relevance to this situation.) But anyway. I’m not sure what to think. A wheel bearing is usually a low rumble, not a high squeal right? It’s to the point though that when I roll into the garage I can kinda hear a slight squeaking with rotation of the wheels. Sound is also louder when I’m coasting. If I’m going through a neighborhood and press the gas a little it’ll get a tad bit quieter, and then grow louder again when I let off. Any ideas? And maybe any ideas for the cv shaft also? Thanks for any info you guys can give me!

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,478 Posts
Since the noise is independent of engine rpms, it is very likely a wheel/running gear issue., as you surmised.
You may notice it more when coasting due to less engine noise, so that may be a red herring.
Bearings can squeal as well as howl, but I'm thinking you might have a rock stuck in the brake caliper guard.
That can make an incredibly loud sound and the symptoms sound very similar to the situation I had, which was the cause in my case.
If you can isolate where the car is making the noise (get someone to help drive/listen) and lift that wheel, try rotating it to see if you can get any sound out of it.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
It happened before and after putting all new brakes in, so I know it’s not the brakes.
"All new brakes ",,,means what, exactly?
  • Did you remove and clean the caliper slide pins and the bores they ride in,,,to include using SILICONE brake grease?
  • Have you checked them to make sure they are not dragging and pads are wearing evenly?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts