Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it only seems to happen when i turn left......sounds like its coming from the front. almost like a thud/tapping sound. no vibration or other problems from it. checked all the cv boots and they look good. any idea? btw is a 2001 forester s and i installed a front strut tower bar and a rear sway about 2 weeks back

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
any idea's.. my friend seems to think its a front wheel bearing but wouldnt i hear that even if i was driving forward?

·
Premium Member
97 s/tb
983 Posts
could you be more discriptive of the noise?
is it several clunks or just one?
have you checked the sway links?
and have you done a spanner check on the strut bar?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whats a spanner check? also the sound isnt a clicking but more of a whooshing sounds. and as long as the wheel is turned left you will hear it constantly like its moving with the wheel

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im thinking of rotating the tires to see if it helps the noise problem.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well that didnt help.. do the front wheel bearings go bad?

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
Fronts, not really.

Might be a bad axle, check your boots.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
boots looked great....although im not sure how much grease is in there

·
Premium Member
97 s/tb
983 Posts
It sounds like one of the tyres is rubbing on either the inner wing of the car or some where.
Have you looked to see if there is any evidence of rubbing?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i did a quick check by turning the tire and looking in but didnt see anything unusual.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it looks normal to me...what are some signs of flipping? both mounts look in still and the bar looks normal to me

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bar doesnt look flipped then again i have an 01 and that pic is from an 04. did some more inspecting tonight and see that the part where the left axle goes into the diff looks kinda gunked and rusted up. all the bushing and front sway look good. maybe a good underbody cleaning might fix it. also nothing looks like its rubbing. if it is a bearing its funny that it only happens when i turn left

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i guess thats something to check tomorrow when there is light outside but im pretty sure they are all there. im at a loss here but id hate to take it to the dealership and pay a million bucks for them to find nothing

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
finally had it checked out and my right wheel bearing is going bad. ive decided to hold off on fixing it since it was 428 dollars with labor and parts.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
sschmelcke said:
finally had it checked out and my right wheel bearing is going bad. ive decided to hold off on fixing it since it was 428 dollars with labor and parts.
Actually, waiting to fix it may wind up costing you more money.

The longer that bearing is bad, the more play it gets in it, which can cause damage to the hub and or knuckle. If that happens you can expect that $428 to easily get closer to $1000.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
really.... i was told that it wasnt too bad as of right now and i probably had some time left.. maybe i will get it done then. funny how the right bearing is going bad and its making sound in the left side

1 - 20 of 25 Posts