Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today while I was out doing some errands, My 2001 forester did some sort of weird thing. I stopped at a red light and all of a sudden with my foot on the brake my Radio turned off, the RPM gauge dropped to 0 and the ABS and Oil at Temp light lit up. If I took my foot off the brake everything was normal but the moment i figured this out the car just died and wouldn't restart. At first, I thought it had to be my Alternator but after about a 45-minute wait a friend showed up and we were able to jump-start the car. I drove it about 18 miles back to the house without a single reoccurring issue. When I got back home I shut down the car and gave it about 20 minutes to rest and then went back out to see if I could restart the car and to my surprise it fired up like it did the day I drove it home. which told me that the Alternator did charge the battery and the battery was able to hold the charge. So I am at a loss. I have no idea what is wrong with this car.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
According to the schematic I have, there's a what-looks-like-a fairly extensive feed (FB-8) that feeds the radio, part of the dash and the brake system.
I'd check all the fuses, especially fuse #2. Perhaps you have some corrosion on one of them or it isn't making good contact.
If the fuses look good, remember that the brake switch and radio have nothing in common. IOW, the brake switch normally has no control over the radio.
Unless you pressing the brake switch causing this was a random event, there would have to be a short with that brake switch feed somewhere in the system.

Perhaps look at the trailer connection because it tends to be exposed or may be flopping around in the trunk. Was the car parked for a bit? Any evidence of mice?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not parked for any length of time that i am aware of, No evidence of Mice. Also My forester doesn't have a trailer lights connection on it as it has never been used to tow anything. Trust me I thought this was an oddity when i bought the car too I just havent been able to afford to have it installed yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts