Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every morning without fail I hear this noise.

I back up out of the driveway, put in drive, then start to drive away.
After about 10-20 feet of starting my forward roll, I hear what sounds like a mechanical shift of some sort. Not really a clunk but a movement or shift of something.

It seems to only do it when the cars been sitting for awhile and only when going in reverse FIRST, then forward.

It did it this morning, then again at lunch after the car sat for about an hour.

Anyone else have a similar sound/scenario? Or have any input at all?

Scott

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
943 Posts
Scott,
My car does the same exact thing. I have a 2010 FXT limited.
I just thought it was part of the AWD and never having owned an AWD, I thought/think that it is normal. Could it be something wrong? I was going to ask the dealership I bought the car from when I bring it in for the first oil change.
I have been in a couple of AWD cars but I never paid attn: to it.

Thank You,
Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 2009. A "bump" came from the front of the vehicle after moving forward a few yards. Most people here believed it was the ABS turning on once the car hit the 5mph mark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A few months ago, I called the maintenance dept at the dealership where I bought my 2010 Forester, and they said this sound is part of an anti-lock brake system self-check. Apparently, the sound is from the anti-lock brake system pressurizing.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I realized today leaving work it did it without moving in reverse, I'm thinking that was a coincidence.

Sounds to me like this is normal.

I was mostly fearing having to take it to the shop because I have two co-workers with BMW's that have both been in for service several times.
Considering how much crap I've given them about it, I couldn't bear the thought of having to take my new Suby in... lol

Thanks for the responses..

·
Registered
2015 Forester premium
63 Posts
Noise

I'm sure it's the ABS self test. I believe it's in the owners manual. When the car reaches a certain speed after each time it is started the ABS does a self test.

On my Forester it is hardly noticeable, but on the Titan I had it was a loud bang like something wrong in the front suspension.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah I agree, most likely the ABS self test. I just bought a 2010 with the Sport-tech package and I have noticed the exact same noise. I checked the manual and it indicates that the ABS will not work at speeds below 6 mph (10km/h). I haven't taken it to the dealer yet but expect they will confirm the noise is related to the ABS.

- FF

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
This has been discussed before, and yes it is the ABS system doing a self-test.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium AT
13 Posts
Noise

I seem to have the same issue, Back out of driveway and then moving forward, 10-20 feed, then a clunk sound, only when the car is cold or sat for some time after driven. It sounds like I just ran over a plastic piece of toy or body trim on the road. Just brought it to the dealer to have it checked out. they did say it could be the ABS, but not quite sure as of yet. That is awfully loud noise if it turns out to be the ABS self check. My sound seems to be coming from the rear passenger side. Not sure if your noise are coming from the same area. I have a 2012.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts