Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Xt premium HTCVT
360 Posts
I have a '14 XT Touring. My battery finally died today, and I had a friend jump start me so I could go get a replacement. After the jump, I got the dreaded check engine light with 3 messages:

- Emission systems need to be looked at
- Vehicle stability control needs to be looked at
- Hill descent needs to be looked at

(Obviously these are abbreviated, not exact)

Also, the hill descent light and check engine lights are on, and in the center info area, the cruise control indicator blinks, and the transmission indicator blinks .

I thought the problems would go away when I put the new battery in, but no go.

Am I hosed? Is there a way to clear this up without going to the dealer?

I just had the same thing happen to me. Very cold the past few days, haven't driven the car much - only 5 miles each way to work, no long trips for the past 2 weeks - dead battery after work today. Jumped it and have the same messages. I'll wait for them to clear, but will probably be getting a new battery in the mean time

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
15 Posts
Bringing an old thread back to life.

I just want to give my thoughts and experience of the exact problem I incurred of the exact issues as the OP. I have a 14 FXT which was running fine till last night. After coming back from the store I tried opening the power rear hatch but would not completely open. I heard the motor struggling but remained closed. Decided to open the hatch manually. I should have noticed then that something was wrong. As soon as I tried starting the car the starter would not kick over. Just heard a "clicking sound". After several attempts I decided to call AAA for a jump start. The jump start got us started but unfortunately the check engine, Hill Assist, cruise control, and "S" light came and stayed on for the 5 mile drive to my house. I tried to scan the codes with my Actron 9135 Code reader but kept getting a "Link Error". Found out the Actron 9135 was not CAN-BUS compatible. It was getting late (around 11:00pm) and I decided to disconnect the the battery cables overnight to clear the codes and warning lights. I also decided to purchase a new battery the next day. This morning, I went to COSTCO to purchase an Interstate battery for $74.99. Best price I could find. The battery specs were 640 CCA, Group 35, 42 Months free replacement. After installing the new battery the car started fine. The check engine, Hill Assist, cruise control, and "S" light were still on. Getting frustrated I decided to go to Autozone to borrow one of their code readers. As soon as I got to Autozone and before borrowing a scanner, I decided to start and stop the engine several times to see if it would clear the codes and warning light. Approximately after the 6th or 7th start / stop cycle the codes and warning lights disappeared. I couldn't believe it. I was so relieved! Several members posted on here that the codes will go away after an few start / stop cycles and they were right. Drove the Forester the whole afternoon and no light came on. I believe this issue is fixed. It's crazy and nerve racking to have the check engine and dash lights come on after a battery replacement. This shouldn't happen at all. I can see people who use this car as their main daily driver and panic to pay the dealer to repair a simple battery swap. Come on Subaru, why make it so complicated:(?! Anyway, hope this helps anyone experiencing this type of issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To give this another bump.

The same thing happened with me and our 2016 Forester XT. My wife had left a light on in the cab, and the battery died. She tried to jump it, but couldn't get it turned over. When I got home, I was able to charge the battery and get the car running. Just as others have reported, when I got the Forester turned on, the Check Engine and Hill Assist lights came on and the Cruise Control and S lights were blinking. Everything worked well otherwise and the car seemed to drive just fine. The car said that there was an error with emissions. I was very concerned until I found this thread where people had said if you cycle through some on/offs with the vehicle, it will eventually clear and the warning lights go away.

That is exactly what happened. Somewhere around the 5th-6th time I turned the car on, the warning lights had stopped coming on. So it looks like this issue has resolved itself. I just wanted to post again in here in case others try to google on this issue, perhaps they can get to this thread a bit easier.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT AWD
62 Posts
Same issue here. Forgot the ceiling lights ON over the night and battery went dead by the morning.
I have an OBD 2 reader connected to my smartphone on BT and it works well. Together with the Torque app, I erased the error code, see attached.
Almost everything came back, apart of the radio pre-set stations and clock which were on default status.

The surprise was that the front right window does not work at all and the driver window works only when the button stays pressed. The back windows are fine. Strange, right?
Maybe they'll come back in the future otherwise I need to pay a visit to the Subaru service.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT AWD
62 Posts
As Yoda_One suggested, I did a reset for the driver window which resolved the issue.

But, still, the front passenger window is completely dead, it does nothing when I press the button, full or half, up or down.

Any idea how to resolve this issue?
thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT AWD
62 Posts
I've just tried and used the passenger switch and it works perfectly! Using the passenger switch (thanks Krowbar!)I reset the window as described in the message from yoda and now everything works fine.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm so glad I found this thread, we got a new battery in Aug last year and then my car went in for a recall in October. An issues was located with the timing chain tensioner which meant a new part being ordered during covid. After 2 weeks of my car sitting with the dealer mechanic it returned with a flashing start/stop button. An issue I've not had before. I took it straight back and was told to keep driving it because the battery had to be charged, nothing is wrong. I took it to my mechanic who said it wasn't right, he reset the ecu and the light kept coming back on. He reset it several times without luck. So as told I drove it. Within a week the red battery light came on, roll back assistance and the red oil light! It sorted itself but kept coming back. Meanwhile I'm emailing subaru who basically said that they did the recall and it wasn't their problem. I booked it back with my mechanic because more and more lights are coming before I could get there check engine, traction control and cruise control all start lighting up on a short trip 4 houses away from mine! Then the ABS and power steering go by the end of my street. Take out the battery to charge it, the next day I get maybe 10ks and the instruments all go, no power steering, speed and the revs are slowly going. Get it going enough to get to my own mechanic not even 5k from my home, lights all slowly coming on the whole way. He resets it, try's a new altenator tries the helpline ect. Errors are low voltage, reduction drive relay basically the start/stop is causing everything else and he can't get that code to wipe. It's been an issue since November 2020 tried multiple starts to reset, disconnecting the battery pumping the break, several resets of the ecu, Monday we are going to the battery shop to see if our $255 battery can be exchanged although our mechanic suggested it wasn't the issue I'm desperate. I paid alot for this car new, 3 children in school and care and work daily. I don't feel safe driving it, the whole thing happened again yesterday after getting it out of the mechanic Thursday. Our dealer mechanic in Hobart is awful. Took the car in because the oil light comes on 2 weeks after each service and has done since I got it in 2013 only to be told all cars consume oil at different rates and given a fact sheet. No way a new car should have done that. Was charged $480 for a service a month after I got it and the oil cap was left off!! I avoided them until these recalls and they were so horrible. My mechanic says I have to go back, I'm sending my partner. Thier customer rep is so rude and I've had enough. Buying a new car today so I can safely take my children in, lodging another complaint to subaru and selling this thing once this issue is sorted. I would never recommend this car which is such a shame because it's so smooth to drive and I really do love it.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
46 Posts
is it the negative or the positive that needed to be disconnected to reset the errors?
I’ve tried disconnecting the + then wait... pump brakes. Reconnect but all the error lights are still there. Tried both + & - same process. Nada.

I’ve got the same sets of lights after having to reset the tailgate height memory. It’s operating normal now and the car drives fine but I can’t change to the drive settings or the X-drive.
I’ve got the same sets of lights after having to reset the tailgate height memory. It’s operating normal now and the car drives fine but I can’t change to the drive settings or the X-drive.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
46 Posts
Emission control needs to be checked. Same with Hill start assist. Drivers side window doesn’t do auto up or down.

started it 5x. Nada.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts