Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a '14 XT Touring. My battery finally died today, and I had a friend jump start me so I could go get a replacement. After the jump, I got the dreaded check engine light with 3 messages:

- Emission systems need to be looked at
- Vehicle stability control needs to be looked at
- Hill descent needs to be looked at

(Obviously these are abbreviated, not exact)

Also, the hill descent light and check engine lights are on, and in the center info area, the cruise control indicator blinks, and the transmission indicator blinks .

I thought the problems would go away when I put the new battery in, but no go.

Am I hosed? Is there a way to clear this up without going to the dealer?

UPDATE:
Clearing the codes seems to have fixed the issue. Lets hope it was just a fluke.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try clear the codes with OBDII scanner and see if they come back.
If only I had an OBDII scanner... *sigh* One more thing to buy...

·
Registered
2016 Forester
898 Posts
If only I had an OBDII scanner... *sigh* One more thing to buy...
A bluetooth OBDII dongle is only a few bucks on amazon/ebay, and Torque app on your android phone will clear the codes (not 100% sure on Forester, it worked on my old Jeep).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most auto parts stores will be able to read them for free.....they won't clear them though I believe IIRC.....
I called my local store, and this is indeed the case.

I'm running through a restart sequence I found online (disconnect battery 15 minutes, reconnect, run 10-15 minutes) to see if this clears things out. If not, off to the store.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,538 Posts
Sounds like the electronics has "glitched" from the dead battery & jump start. In the previous generation, a simple reset would clear up the problem.

• Disconnect the battery ground cable.
• Press the brake pedal a few times to drain any residual voltage.
• Reconnect the battery ground cable.

If you still have a CEL, that may require clearing with a scan tool... or they may clear on their own in time. :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Reactions: ForcedInduction

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing I tried worked. I took it to the local auto parts store for a code read, here's the code:

P0606 ECM / PCM Processor
Code P0606 indicates a fault in the ECM/PCM Processor

Guy at the store said it's an issue with the ECM/PCM and will probably have to be replaced at the dealer. Aaaaaand my car is out of warranty. Swell.

BTW: I didn't see this code in the CEL code list. Add it perhaps?

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
1,359 Posts
Oh boy.......that was not what anyone wanted to hear.....sounds like the jump could have messed something up in the ECM....how is the car running otherwise....anything funny?

If the car is running fine....Perhaps you could get a scan tool and clear the code and see if it comes back at all.....maybe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh boy.......that was not what anyone wanted to hear.....sounds like the jump could have messed something up in the ECM....how is the car running otherwise....anything funny?
Oddly, no, other than I can't switch to mode, use cruise control or X-mode. Engine seems to run fine, acceleration is fine, ride quality is fine... *shrug*

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,538 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just found this on another site:

This vehicle is a Forester xt turbo. I was operating on cruise control at 78 mph, approximately 900 miles from home, when a sudden loss of propulsion occurred. Dashboard had multiple warning lights. Engine was still operating, though at very low RPM so I was able to maintain steering and braking control. After maneuvering to the side of the road, I noticed the tachometer was fluctuating between 500-800 RPM. I turned off the engine and was able to restart. The following warning lights were still illuminated: Check engine, hill control, cruise control, and operating mode. Operating mode was stuck in "sport" mode. I was able to drive vehicle at normal speed to nearest dealer approximately 10 miles away. The service technician stated I had an error code of P0606. This is a voltage issue on the engine control module, (ECM). The corrective action is to re-flash the ECM computer chip. This is a restricted action, requiring a field service engineer to come to the dealer to do the procedure. The technician stated they had already experienced this with a vehicle they sold but the problem with the module usually occurs on engine start. The technician cleared the error codes and I continued on my trip. Upon returning to my home, I took the vehicle to my dealer to be serviced. My dealer stated they were one of the first to experience this issue. I am wondering why there has been no recall/notice to owners of this problem since it has been known for a while. It is frightening to lose power when cruising at highway speed. - Tampa, FL, USA
Emphasis is mine. Quote is from: 24 Complaints: 2014 Subaru Forester Engine Problems

I'll grab a reader and reset the codes tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
832 Posts
Oddly, no, other than I can't switch to mode, use cruise control or X-mode. Engine seems to run fine, acceleration is fine, ride quality is fine... *shrug*

Generally, a CEL/code will turn off cruise control so that light flashes (my Forester is too old to have the modes, so can't comment on them), so those issues may not be directly related to the problem. The codes should tell the story. Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE:

Went this morning and bought an inexpensive ($40 on sale) pocket OBD II reader, just a basic one. Read the codes, same story as the night before. Cleared the codes at the auto parts store, turned the car off and back on. And voila, all back to normal. No issues on the drive home either.

Of course if the issue pops back up I'll report back here.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,692 Posts
You were not patient enough. A couple of days and about half dozen start-ups would have done it as the car relearns everything.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Pilot EX-L 6 speed auto
136 Posts
At 9000 miles, about 18 months ago, I had a very similar experience. I was sitting in a parking lot waiting for the rest family to arrive at a restaurant. It was middle of summer around 95F. I was idling with the A/c on for a few minutes then shut off the car but left the radio and fan running for a good 5-10 minutes. I then attempted to start my car, had a hard start, and when the engine finally caught, I got the Christmas tree of error messages, the transmission was stuck in Sport mode only, cruise control inop, hill decent inop, and a few more warnings I can't recall. I pulled the check engine code and it was something about low starter voltage.
Granted I was pretty hot that a car with 9k miles was already acting up, but after dinner, I drove it back to the house, and cycled through the key a few times starting and stopping the engine, and the computer reset everything. I haven't had any issues since, so I take it as a fluke.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 5 MT
881 Posts
...left the radio and fan running for a good 5-10 minutes...
Sounds like a very tired battery. Subaru has been putting in crappy OEM batteries for the last several years. Perhaps you might consider putting in a real battery to avoid getting stuck somewhere.

·
Registered
2014 forester xt cvt
60 Posts
I agree with trailangel, after a low battery voltage you will get all those warning lights. It will take several days and multiple cycles but the codes will clear themselves.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts