Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced both O2 sensors yesterday cause I had several codes indicating they may be bad. I used a scanner to reset the codes and when I went to drive again my turn signals weren't working. I checked all the fuses and none are bad. I noticed also that my headlights weren't working. They wouldn't stay on but when I pushed the stick to flash the brights they would come on as long as I was holding the stick. After I pulled to fuse for the door locks and keyless entry and put it back in, the dash lights began flashing on and off. Just like the hazards but with the dash lights instead. The flashing happens when the car is on or off and goes for a min the pauses for a min and starts up again. The only thing that stops it is pulling that fuse. I have done lots of work on cars and have never run into anything like this. I'm hoping the ecu isn't fried. The car runs fine but I kinda need turn signals and lights. Any sugestions? Thanks
Ohy ya, it's a 2000 forester.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,959 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
That sounds weird. Tried hook off the battery and let it sit for a while?
I have no clue if it will solve anything but it's worth a try. Good luck

Edit: I did not think of the possibility of the security as the other thread mention. Locking and unlocking the car with the key fob can solve it, I hope.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds weird. Tried hook off the battery and let it sit for a while?
I have no clue if it will solve anything but it's worth a try. Good luck

Edit: I did not think of the possibility of the security as the other thread mention. Locking and unlocking the car with the key fob can solve it, I hope.
I don't have a remote to the car. Used to but it stopped working and my wife threw it away. I did try to d/c the battery for quite a while and it didn't work. This is really strange.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,784 Posts
Very strange.
When I fried my ECU the lights did weird stuff as well,with key off the running lights and dash lights would come on,shifter interlock wouldn't work at all.
None of the lights would come on with the key on.
ECU is tied to a lot.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I did a search and found out that the blinking is from the security/ keyless remote system. I guess when you disconnect the battery it resets it and you have to unlock and lock it with the remote or hold the reset button under the dash. Got that fixed. I took the turn signal/ head light switch off and when I pluged it back in the headlights began working, still no turn signals or hazards. I took the switch apart and manually bridges the connection for the turn signals and still got nothing so i don't think it's the actual switch. I've checked all the bulbs and they're all good but I'm going to replace them anyway. Usually when the flasher modules go bad the signals just stay on, and there is usually a seperate one for the hazards and turn signals so I don't think it's that. I can't think of anything else to try. What the hall would just cause my signals to stop working??? Anybody have any other sugestions? I'm stumped. Thanks

·
Registered
2000 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an additional couple of questions. Is there a seperate flasher unit for hazards and turn signals in a forester (all my other cars have had one for each) and when they go bad can your hazards and signals just stop working? All my other cars which have had the flasher go bad the turn signal just stays on the whole time the switch was on. I could flash them manually if I pushed the switch on and off.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heh, took it all apart and put it all back together and it just all started working. Must have just been a loose connection. What a pain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts