Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Foz has it in for me. Shortly after fixing its own misfire/hesitation issues it now has a curious brake problem. I will describe it in some detail in the hope that the learned forum can point me in the right direction.

A couple of weeks ago the car had a full service and MOT and passed with flying colours. Next day I went on a 20 mile trip, mostly dual carriageway, to visit a friend. When I arrived there was a smell of burning and the front O/S wheel was VERY hot. A couple of hours later I drove home and everything was fine.

I then made several trips round the country covering hundreds of miles with no issues.

Yesterday I went to see my friend again and guess what - arrived with a hot front O/S wheel! It's clearly something to do with what happens on that route and I think I know what it is. At one point there is a set of traffic signals. The road comes away in a long, tight, right hand bend which I like to take at speed ('cos it's fun and it's a 70mph limit). Yesterday as I left the bend I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel which lasted about a mile. I'm guessing this was the brake pads binding on the disc?

So, any ideas what might cause this? I don't want to stop visiting my friend ...

I fitted new Pagid discs 6k miles ago so I don't think that's an issue.

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess is a seizing piston and not related to the bend or your friend ;)
Yes, but that doesn't explain why it has happened twice after travelling the same stretch of road and nowhere else on the hundreds of miles in between ...

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
A long while ago I had a similar problem but first I would check the caliper and sliding pins. Mine in the end turned out to be a faulty brake hose which must have ruptured internally and was holding the brake pressure when it was twisted in a certain way. Only changed it in desperation as I had tried everything else.

·
Registered
2006 STI
7,027 Posts
^^^ That's a very interesting piece of information and, if I've understood the point correctly, may explain why the long bend causes such an issue as if that applies the brake slightly due to the twist then going at a decent speed for a fair while could certainly cause significant heat.

Mike, does the braking feel odd at all after the bend in question?

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,822 Posts
I'll throw this out if it applies, worth having a look at least.

Not sure if it is the same overseas but the North American manual equipped Forester's have the http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/15194-post7.html It being out of adjustment or as in many cases the spring broken it can produce from mild to extreme problems similar to what you describe. You can have a read through the rest of the thread but this may be the culprit pictured here http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/brakes-frozen-89412/index4.html#post1048226 you can see from the rest of the thread we all had our theories, but in the end it was a broken return spring and a zip tie fix. Update us here as to what you find.

Cheers
Doug

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^ That's a very interesting piece of information and, if I've understood the point correctly, may explain why the long bend causes such an issue as if that applies the brake slightly due to the twist then going at a decent speed for a fair while could certainly cause significant heat.

Mike, does the braking feel odd at all after the bend in question?
No the brakes felt fine and the car stopped straight. Just the juddering through the steering wheel for a mile or so after the bend (a bit like driving over a road with fine corrugations in the surface).

Immediately prior to the first time this happened the car had just been serviced and passed the MOT and came with a printout of braking efficiency for all the wheels.

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Lucas
2004 Forester XT Manual
2,824 Posts
Few things:

A) your hill holder like never been adjust - it should be done periodically.
B) do not take sticky piston/'slider' from the equation. I have very similar case in my Mazda. What might happening when you traveling this 'magical' road, you probably using brakes more often then on the other road, and due to this fact they getting warmer. If so, due to thermal expansion, and crud in your caliper it is sticking. Once I rebuild my calipers on Mazda problem was solved.
There are also what I call 'sliders' - two small cylinders on which your caliper is sliding if you have broken dust cover on any of them, and one sized might cause similar problems. That happen on my old Legacy, symptoms was similar and when we took of caliper pad was eaten only on bottom part...
C) It might be a problem with brake line.

What I would do:

Full brake service. First clean brake calipers, use some ATE or Pagid brake grease when assembling everything - particularly contact point between pads and calipers. Check all seals. Grease your piston - I like to clean it with small screwdriver, and cloth, and put some brake grease. Also replace brake fluid - if you going to that replace brake line on this occasion. If any seal will be torn, simply buy rebuilding kit and refurbish caliper.

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Few things:
Thanks Lucas, all good advice. I don't have any time before Christmas to look at this but I'm going to keep an eye (or rather a hand) on that wheel to see if it heats up again.

I've had sticking disc brakes once before and it happened when I fitted new pads. I stripped the thing three times before discovering the problem - when you replace worn pads with new ones you have to remove some grease from the slider.

·
Lucas
2004 Forester XT Manual
2,824 Posts
Thanks Lucas, all good advice. I don't have any time before Christmas to look at this but I'm going to keep an eye (or rather a hand) on that wheel to see if it heats up again.

I've had sticking disc brakes once before and it happened when I fitted new pads. I stripped the thing three times before discovering the problem - when you replace worn pads with new ones you have to remove some grease from the slider.
Just don't wait to long, if it get hot to many times, you will toast wheel bearing..

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
I stripped the thing three times before discovering the problem - when you replace worn pads with new ones you have to remove some grease from the slider.

Um, no. It's only a lubricant. If you are packing the boots full, you're using too much.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTn Man Stick
720 Posts
Mike, you are a speed devil in disguise ;)

We both know this stretch of road and and it can be taken with good high speed...meaning the inner surface area of your calipers, if not clean/with dried crud/rust can lock the pad onto the disc as you take the bend...this then generates heat as you continue your journey to your friend as the pad is in semi contact with the disc...this would also explain the intermittent vibration. Had this happen on the 911 years ago and it took me some time to work out the problem. The easy answer, as Lucas/others have said, is to remove and service both front calipers until spotlessly clean, grease where necessary and re-fit...and why not change the front flexibles for braided whilst there?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.