Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so...here's an ongoing shaggy dog story with my 2017 Forester....got it in September 2016...car has ~ 8k miles on it now...recently started making a subtle metal-on-metal rattling noise while driving over rough pavement....noise comes from the rear hatch area, as if something is loose. One of those noises where I really want to try to ignore it, but then my wife says, "what's that noise?"
Anyways, took it to the dealer.....went for a drive with the tech, he acknowledged the noise, said it was likely one (or both) of the rear hatch struts going bad....so, they give me a loaner, keep the car for two days, and replace the struts (they needed to order one of the struts, otherwise it would have taken only one day).....
I get the car back, and it STILL makes the same noise....I go back to the dealer, see the same service tech, who swears that they test drove the car and they didn't hear the noise.....I leave the car there...

They spend another day diagnosing and decide that there is a problem with the rear hatch itself!!! A NEW REAR HATCH is ordered, car goes to the body shop to have the hatch color matched and clearcoated....I pick up the car 6 days later.

After driving the car a bit, I notice that it is STILL making the same noise....I insist the same tech go out for a test drive with me to substantiate it still makes the noise, which he verifies. Says to me leave the car again....and that's where we are as of this writing. I have what is now my 3rd loaner (new 2017 Forester) and wondering what is up. I really feel as if the dealership is doing whatever is necessary to fix the issue (I feel they genuinely want to solve the problem), but beginning to lose confidence. Anyone have any pearls of wisdom?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same here

I have had my new 2017 Forester for only a week and have noticed a noise coming from the hatch as well. I let my wife drive and I pushed on it and the rattling sound stopped. I am planning on contacting the dealer tomorrow. I wish you luck and will try to let you know what I hear.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, I left the car at the dealer over the weekend, and expect (hopefully) to hear some update tomorrow (Monday)....we'll see!?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have the same issue but decided against going to the dealer because the rattle isn't heard all the time and I'm sure once I get there, there will be no sound. I'll wait and see what happens, after all we have a three year warranty and I got the car in Oct 2016 so I still have a while to go.
As a note, I took off the left rear covers on the pillar and the seat belt cover and looked for loose wires but couldn't find anything. Looked in the roof liner and there are no loose wires either, I assume the sound comes from a weld point on the ribs going across the roof but can't be sure unless I take off the roof liner which am not willing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am not sure if this was considered. I had a metal rattling noise coming from the rear too, and to my surprise it turned out to be something really small. It was the rear middle seat belt when retracted into its little housing in the roof headliner. If the metal end of the seat belt hook goes into the roof headliner, I guess it will come in contact with the roof metal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, we have that covered....whether or not the seatbelt is retracted, the noise is still there

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ruled out the license plate....the vehicle is at the dealer, awaiting arrival and installation of a "trim panel" according to my service advisor

·
Registered
548 Posts
Dig around where your spare tire and jack and such are, might find a rattle in there. Happened to me last week, was my tow hooks laying on top of each other.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update: July 21, 2017

Okay, so here is where I am with my Forester noise.....the dealership installed a "trim panel" in the rear compartment.....I picked up the car, and all was quiet....until a bit of driving (maybe 15 minutes or so), and the same noise as always returned. (part of the problem is that commonly the car will not make the noise unless the car is warm.....not as in engine temp, but as in it's been driven when it is warm outside)
I was resigned to just living with it, but since I just can't let it go, I phoned Subaru USA and spoke with a customer satisfaction rep. I told him that despite the dealership's earnest efforts, I have a persistent noise issue after 3 supposed repairs have been effected.
He said that he would reach out to my local dealer and would get back to me in 2 days. Like clockwork, in 2 days, I get a call back from the Subaru USA guy, who tells me that a regional Subaru Rep will be contacting me for an inspection drive of my Forester next week.
Hope springs eternal!!
Anyways, the noise is still there, and I am, at this point, looking forward to having the regional rep hear the noise and address the issue.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dig around where your spare tire and jack and such are, might find a rattle in there. Happened to me last week, was my tow hooks laying on top of each other.
^ This. I've seen this effect other make/model vehicles. Pull everything out of the spare tire well and re-mount.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just a thought.....might it be the 'U' shaped catch that the rear hatch 'clips' to when shut? It can be adjusted a little to tighten it but it might explain the 'metal on metal' sound that you are experiencing....

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just a thought.....might it be the 'U' shaped catch that the rear hatch 'clips' to when shut? It can be adjusted a little to tighten it but it might explain the 'metal on metal' sound that you are experiencing....
+1
My new forester (none power tailgate) had a clanky noise coming from the rear on rough roads, adjust the striker plate in slightly and no more noise. The latch was rattling on the strike plate. :smile2:

·
Registered
367 Posts
+1

My new forester (none power tailgate) had a clanky noise coming from the rear on rough roads, adjust the striker plate in slightly and no more noise. The latch was rattling on the strike plate. :smile2:

Was any part loose? Nothing on mine is loose so I don't think it's that...

Yogibear and his Subie

·
Registered
63 Posts
Really frustrating but the dealership is trying and noises can be tough. Interested to hear what the rep says. Hopefully they can fix it for you

·
Registered
89 Posts
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue. I posted a similar thread a little while ago about a metal-on-metal rattling noise coming from the rear hatch on my 2017 XT Premium. Mine started at about 12k miles.

The rattle is totally random but seems to be triggered when the body flexes a certain way. That's the only reliable way to generate the noise. Bumps will trigger it but not always. Some days it's totally silent, others it won't stop.

I've removed everything from the cargo bay, made sure spare and components were secure, driven with the seats up/down, seatbelt secure/retracted, I even put a piece of duct tape over the spring clip on the fuel door since a prior visit to the dealer led the service advisor to believe that could be the issue. Nothing has worked so far.

I'm headed to the dealer next week for an oil change and to hopefully deal with the rattle as well. I'm definitely going to pay attention to this thread to see how things turn out. Best of luck and I hope they find it!!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Taking mine in tomorrow for the rattle and hope to have it fixed. This is not always happening but when it does it drives me crazy. Also will ask them to take a look at the AC compressor as it makes a grinding noise. Also, the adaptive Cruise Control makes a hissing sound when it applies the brakes to slow down. Also, will need them to check the transmission fluid levels as my car is part of the low fluid recall. I know, quite a few "also" which shouldn't be the case with a 9 months old car with 7000 miles on it.

Yogibear and his Subie

·
Registered
30 Posts
We have a '13 XT and I also had a weird noise coming from the hatch. Dealer punted of course, so one day I decided to check out the spare tire well and noticed that the wiring plug in "box" for the trailer hitch lights had loosened itself from the factory/dealer adhesive thingy. I put three strips of duct tape over it and the noise seems to have abated for now. Worth your time to check it out.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
About this Discussion
97 Replies
28 Participants
velobob
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing