Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much the JDM Forester STi wheels weigh?
I'm tring to decide between 17" Superleggeras , 17" BBS RK's, or the 18" JDM Sti wheels. If the 18's don't weigh too much I might go for them.

·
Mr. November 2008
2015 BMW 335d xDrive GT Auto
969 Posts
*** Edited due to better accuracy ***

I just weighed one of mine with the tyre on, and it was 49.8 lbs. The original RE030's weigh 24 lbs, so that leaves the wheel coming in at 25.8 lbs.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
karma mechanic said:
*** Edited due to better accuracy ***

I just weighed one of mine with the tyre on, and it was 49.8 lbs. The original RE030's weigh 24 lbs, so that leaves the wheel coming in at 25.8 lbs.
That seems awfully heavy even for an 18" wheel. If it is correct, it makes me happy I stuck with my 17" SSR's at 15lbs a piece. But the FSTI wheels are fly.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Mr. November 2008
969 Posts
Yes, they are heavy.

I suppose Subaru may have gone for extra strength in view of the car it was being fitted to - more chance of hitting rocks and stuff in the Forester application than the Impreza.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
karma mechanic said:
Yes, they are heavy.

I suppose Subaru may have gone for extra strength in view of the car it was being fitted to - more chance of hitting rocks and stuff in the Forester application than the Impreza.
I thought the FSTi is geared toward urban haulin' rather than off roading (18s with low profile tires is not something one would want to go off pavement). My guess is its designed with the real world in mind - roads full of potholes and imperfections.

They maybe heavy, but they're sharp looking.

·
Mr. November 2008
969 Posts
It probably isn't intended for any off-road duties - but they still made it too high ! Never mind, a set of AST's should fix that...

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
You're going to slap on a new set of rims & tires?

I really dig the OEM set up. It looks fanstastic as is, IMO.

·
Mr. November 2008
969 Posts
SKSTI said:
You're going to slap on a new set of rims & tires?

I really dig the OEM set up. It looks fanstastic as is, IMO.
The AST's are the height-adjustable and 12-click damping-adjustable suspension from Powerstation.

It is the ride height and damping I might change, and that's how I'd do it. If I did.

(The OEM Bridgestone RE030's are a different matter, there are lots of better ones out there in terms of grip, ride, noise, wear and looks).

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
karma mechanic said:
The AST's are the height-adjustable and 12-click damping-adjustable suspension from Powerstation.

It is the ride height and damping I might change, and that's how I'd do it. If I did.

(The OEM Bridgestone RE030's are a different matter, there are lots of better ones out there in terms of grip, ride, noise, wear and looks).
Oops! I've confused AST for ASW [aftermarket wheels]. :D

+1 for rubber replacement. The OEM Geos for the FXT aren't the best either. Too squirmy for my taste.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
toddlamp said:
Anyone know where to find a set of FSTi rims? I like the look and need something that will allow me to install my STi Brembo take-offs.
You can always check jdmpartstx.com for their latest shipments. I've seen a few sets of FSTi wheels go through there.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
I've been checking JDMPARTSTX regularly (thanks to Silke), but haven't seen FSTi wheels yet. How much do they usually go for? I hope it's not over $1500 (the most I would pay).

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I bought a bunch of stuff from jdmpartstx.com before and will definitly buy from them again (eventhough that are under new managment). I already wrote them requesting a set.

SKSTI: Shoot them an email showing interest in the FSTi rims and maybe it will push them enough to look and hopfully get two sets.

Soooooooo pretty:

·
Registered
2005 forester sti 6MT
371 Posts
karma mechanic said:
agree wholeheartedly there - the RE030 is downright scaring me on greasy surfaces + I have shredded most of the tread off in the last week giving people 'demos' of the forester - so some new rubber is due

but what to choose - very little choice in 225/45 18 - no way am I buying Toyo rubbish or falken/kumho/unknowns - so it looks like P zero nero (squishy sidewall no thanks) , dunlop 9000 ( not very sharp) or the re050

I may plump for the latter if I can't find anything else - such a shame the F1 gsd3 extra load doesn't come in this size - it would be the perfect tyre for the fsti

- any suggestions aout there? - I hear mazda rx8s and bmw m3 have the same size.

paul w

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
313 Posts
I'm looking for 18" wheels for summer use (OEM will be delivered with winter tires) and I'm considering the OZ Ultraleggera in grey.

As far as rubber is concerne, I don't know for sure, but tirerack.com suggests these if you're looking for on-pavement performance tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...ting=WR&speed_rating=YR&RunFlat=All&x=46&y=11

The Bridgestones look interesting, I have tried the Yokohamas on my integrale (VERY good in the dry - not so convincing in the wet) and Michelin Pilot is a good and highly rated tire.

Keep us posted!

·
Mr. November 2008
969 Posts
Mine is currently on RE040's, same as OEM size, and they are certainly very different from the 030's. They have much better turn-in than the 030's, and seem to have more overall grip in any conditions. However, they are much noisier when cold, and feel like they are made of wood when very cold. Down in Devon over the weekend I warmed to them as the temperatures hit 12 Celsius, but the other day at -4C I was prepared to bin them. Other summer tyres I've had didn't have that sharp cutoff in the cold.

The RE050's have a good reputation in the RX8 fraternity, but then they like RE040's too... The 050's have stiff sidewalls and very thick sidewall protection, the 030, 040 and 050 all seem to be variants of the same basic design, unlike the 070.

Going to 225/40 opens up a lot more possibilities at the expense of a minor speedo error, plenty to choose from there including the GSD3's. Wouldn't look quite right though.

235/40 is the answer on 8-inch rims, again lots of choice including the GSD3's and Pilot Sport 2's. How they'd fare on 7.5 inch original rims I'm not sure, it wouldn't be quite optimal but probably not too far out either. The very slight bulge would help give some rim protection with those tyres that didn't have the side rib.

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
pwebb said:
but what to choose - very little choice in 225/45 18 - no way am I buying Toyo rubbish or falken/kumho/unknowns - so it looks like P zero nero (squishy sidewall no thanks) , dunlop 9000 ( not very sharp) or the re050

paul w
Out of interest why are you so anti the Toyo's ?
I just put a set of 225/45/18 T1r's on and love them, generally seem to be well regarded as well in the Subaru community so wondered what the issue is with them..

Cheers
Pete

1 - 18 of 18 Posts