Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered a set of WeatherTech floor mats for my 2009 Forester with MT, and they fit perfectly. That makes me real happy. I believe that the second row (rear mat) also fits the 2008 Impreza, but I am not certain about the first row ones. The driver's side has the two holes needed for installing on the floor.

Here is the link:
WeatherTech Automotive Accessories - FloorLinerâ„¢ DigitalFit ® - 2009 Subaru Forester - WeatherTech FloorLiner - car floor mats liner, floor tray protects and lines the floor of truck and SUV carpeting from mud, snow, water and dirt

Now, what makes me real unhappy is that I paid a total of $206.05 ($159.90 for the mats, plus $46.15 for shipping FedEx to Alaska), which is ridiculously high. That's the way it goes sometimes, I guess :)

The same mats are a little cheaper if one can buy them through Amazon and depending on S&H. Cabela's has them for $190.00, but I just received a coupon for free shipping (too late).

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Perhaps nobody is interested in knowing what I am to tell about the WetherTech floor mats, but here it goes anyways:

PROS
-Fit perfectly.
-The raised sides all most all the way around (front row), which is a very nice feature.

CONS
-The raised sides aren't all the way around. The edges by both front doors aren't raised like the rest of the floor mats.
-Thin material. These floor mats should be made thicker, specially between the pedals and the seat on the driver's side. Also, the material is very slick, specially in cold weather as one carries snow on one's shoes. This area should be ribbed to prevent the shoes from sliding around.

Other than that, a very good design, although expensive. In the near future I plan to glue a rectangular piece of rubberized stairs tread to the area mentioned above. This material is ribbed, and very pliable. It should stop my shoes from sliding forward when I am resting the hills on the floor mat, and also extend the life of the floor mat since my boot's hills will eventually wear a spot or two somewhere below or near the pedals.

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
ray thanks for posting...

i'm interested in your views on the weather tech mats....

i've just always questioned whether they are worth the extra cash!!

dm

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ray thanks for posting...

i'm interested in your views on the weather tech mats....

i've just always questioned whether they are worth the extra cash!!

dm
They are expensive, but provide good floor cover. I imagine that if you don't have to pay for S&H, then you would save some cash. I paid $46.00 S&H via FedEx (the only choice offered), for a 9-LB package. The mats are lightweight.

Also, very cold weather like we experience in the interior of Alaska, plus snow on one's shoes, would make the mats quite slippery. In a warm place where it rains often, these mats would be an excellent choice.

Husky makes similar mats, but I don't know if these have raised edges like the WeatherTeck ones. The latter are custom designed, and probably made by the use of a mold.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice photo.

They do fit nicely, but it would have been nicer for WeatherTech to also raise the sides along each front doors, and to make the floor with ribs facing a different direction to prevent skids. But like I said before, I plan to improve the floor of the mat on the driver's side.

·
Registered
09 Forester Touring
179 Posts
It looks like the water and snow is just going to pile up and slide off the back edges onto the interior of the car.

That was my big gripe about the Subaru All Weather Mats.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f139/subarus-all-weather-mats-my-09-forester-45915/

From the pics that I have seen with the Weathertech mats I kinda thought that there would be side walls that kept everything in.

I think that Weathertech have a little bit of refining still to do, IMO.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
286 Posts
The photo in the link

Thanks very much, Ray.

Photo of driver's side shows floorliner extending right up to the car door, covering the sill nicely. But the car in the photo isn't a Forester. So they don't configure all the mats in the same way.

I wonder if any of the WeatherTech people would be able to answer questions about this.

Lately, I'm reluctant to buy anything I can't see in the flesh. Maybe I'll make my own floor mats.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
As I said before, the Weathertech mats would be perfect if the left edge along the driver's door, and the right edge along the passenger's front door were raised to perhaps 2" high. But being as high as the rest would provide a lot more protection to the carpet by the doors. The rear edge of the front mats are high enough since these areas under the mats are slightly higher than the rest of the floor.

The channels or grooves on the mats are fine, and act as water collection points. But the mats should also have some bumps or ribs that are perpendicular to the driver, on the floor immediately in front of the pedals, and between the water channels.
-----
That said, I still consider the WeatherTech mats the best around. I was looking at photos of the Husky mats, and they seem to have a better floor or bottom design (raised ribs to avoid skids), but I can't tell if the edges are raised like the WeatherTech ones.

Notice the low the lip or edge is, but still high enough for me not to whine about, I guess :) Also notice that the mat uses the two metallic pegs on the Forester's floor (one of the pegs shows in the lighter rectangular-shaped portion of the photo):

This second photo shows the forward portion of the mat, which offers plenty of carpet coverage:

Forgive the mess shown in the photos. I have been parking the car on the snow outside :)

My recommendation is as follows: if you can buy a set of WeatherTech front and second row mats for a lot less than what I paid, perhaps around $125.00, go for it. They fit perfectly.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Prem. A/T
100 Posts
I always liked the old-style Weathertech rubber mats better. I'm not a big fan of the newer rubbermaid-looking floor liner versions. Their main benefit--the high molded edges--also amounts to little more than a gimmick in these Forester mats, since they're only as effective at holding water as their lowest edge allows.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
7 Posts
Fantastic pics. Very helpfull. Its amazing how many people are looking for this info, with the same comparison in mind.

Anyone have pics of the Husky's ?? (actually installed in a Foz)

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
So many WeatherTech threads I thought I'd mention it here as well.

I've got a set in my 08 and to prevent melted snow from sloshing around I cut a couple of strips of "Sham Wow" and laid them closest to the seat base.

They do absorb the water very well and periodically I just squeeze them out after a drive. They do freeze up sometimes but are also pretty quick to thaw and do their job.

I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
2002 S
2,702 Posts
Bumpin this up to see if anyone thinks the 03+ Weathertechs would fit my 2002.
I know the floorpans are almost identical and I want to get some better mats but don't want to waste $100 on a guess.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
77 Posts
I had a set of the regular rubber floor mats last me over 10 years of driving stick. The spot where my left fot rests finally gave way. They are a great buy and I just bought a set for my van.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts