Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ordering the 2019 Touring level Forester in several days and am curious if anyone has tried the Weathertech Mud Guards instead of the OEM parts?

The OEM spats are so small that they never did much on my 2015 Outback.........the Weathertechs look good BUT I'm just curious if anyone has any real time experience with them to report on.......

Apparently, some if the Weathertechs clip on using their own patented system and others do require some drilling....that would make them a no-no for me and I'd default to the OEMs....

Thanks, Guys!

Steve

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
141 Posts
Entering the 2019 Forester into the vehicle selector then shows the no-drill instructions. I’m not sure that is enough to assume that they are the no-drill version. May be worth an email to confirm, pending other input from those that might have already purchased them.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello there:

I just emailed Weathertech to ask about that mounting question........will revert to the OEMs if I have to but they are so useless.......will report back once I hear from them.

Steve

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
187 Posts
I mounted the Weathertechs to my 2019 Forester a couple weeks ago. There is no drilling. The instructions were clear and the hardware worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm ordering the spats soon....my 2019 is still 12 weeks out or so.......I asked for NO OEM mud guards after I saw how straightforward the Weathertechs mount to the 19 Forrie.

Steve

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium
30 Posts
I mounted the Weathertechs to my 2019 Forester a couple weeks ago. There is no drilling. The instructions were clear and the hardware worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howdy, I just picked up a set of front and back Weathertech mud flaps for my 2019 Forester. I ran into an issue with the rear mud flaps and I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.

There are three mounting mounts used, one on the underside of the fender, one on the top outer edge, and one tucked back in the wheel well. The mount point tucked back in the wheel well uses a longer clip than the other two. When I tried to install them, the issue I ran into was that the picture the instructions show for where the clip should install (and the orientation of the fender liner) don't match up with what my car has. The fender liner wraps the inside of the fender and drops down over a hard plastic piece behind it. From what I can tell in the instructions, the clip should latch onto the hard plastic piece behind the fender liner, but the space is so small that I wasn't able to get it clipped in (plus, there's no space between the plastic piece and the metal frame). The clip is too short to clip directly onto the fender liner.

Did you run into a similar issue? If so, what did you do to get it installed?

On a third look at it.... I realize now that the picture is showing the fender liner being bent up 180 degrees right where the mount point is. The fender liner seemed pretty rigid.... is that safe to do without breaking/tearing it?

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
424 Posts
I went with Rally Armor mudflaps for my '19 Sport as the OEM are worthless. The Rally Armor are also no drill and I am supper happy with them.
Besides, they came in black with orange RA logos which look great on the Sport.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
187 Posts
Howdy, I just picked up a set of front and back Weathertech mud flaps for my 2019 Forester. I ran into an issue with the rear mud flaps and I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.

There are three mounting mounts used, one on the underside of the fender, one on the top outer edge, and one tucked back in the wheel well. The mount point tucked back in the wheel well uses a longer clip than the other two. When I tried to install them, the issue I ran into was that the picture the instructions show for where the clip should install (and the orientation of the fender liner) don't match up with what my car has. The fender liner wraps the inside of the fender and drops down over a hard plastic piece behind it. From what I can tell in the instructions, the clip should latch onto the hard plastic piece behind the fender liner, but the space is so small that I wasn't able to get it clipped in (plus, there's no space between the plastic piece and the metal frame). The clip is too short to clip directly onto the fender liner.

Did you run into a similar issue? If so, what did you do to get it installed?

On a third look at it.... I realize now that the picture is showing the fender liner being bent up 180 degrees right where the mount point is. The fender liner seemed pretty rigid.... is that safe to do without breaking/tearing it?
I recall that one of the clips was a little close on the alignment, but it all went together with no fuss.

I had to temporarily move the fender liner a bit to install a clip, but nothing major and definitely did not fold it back 180 degrees.

I took a look at my mudflaps. Below I am referring to the left rear mudflap.

Just to the right of the hole giving you trouble is another plastic fastener. Removing that fastener makes it easier to bend back the liner to make room for the clip installation. It makes the bends less extreme as well. I do not recall needing to bend the liner as much as in the photo, and at no time was I concerned about damaging the liner. I tried to apply common sense and keep bends gradual.

Behind the liner is the harder plastic which the clip slides over to align with the existing hole. This is where I recall things were a little tight and thinking, unlike the other holes, there is zero slop in the alignment. I slid the clip over the plastic piece, maybe using a screwdriver on edge to push it fully on. I don't recall any issue with underlying metal.

In your case, it sounds like the hole is a tad farther from the edge than the clip can handle. If that's the case, could you file away some of the plastic to allow the clip to slide closer to the hole? It's covered by the liner, so you don't need to be neat about it. A rotary file (Lowes or Home Depot) in your drill, or a dremel tool would also work.

If none of that appeals to you, I'd call weathertech. They likely can send you an even longer clip.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium
30 Posts
Thanks! I took a second look at it, popped out that second clip, and was able to get it bent up enough to get my other hand in there to get the clip on. As it turns out, it's only a problem on the left hand side where the clip has to hook onto the plastic liner behind the fender liner. On the right hand side, there is no plastic liner, I'm guessing because of the exhaust, so the clip goes straight up onto the metal piece behind the fender liner.

What did you all think of the fit on the back mud flaps? The set I received has a small, but noticeable, gap between the mud flap and the body. Since it appears to make contact at the top of the flap, and then bows out in the middle, it seems like it's a design flaw. Did other folks notice something similar? If not, I'll reach out to Weathertech. (see attached pictures) Regarding the pictures, I attached the "protector strip" even though it probably wasn't really needed, but look beyond that in the pictures and you'll notice there's still a small gap.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
187 Posts
Hmmm. I have no such gaps. Make sure you press and hold the mudflap firmly against the body while tightening the screws. They should all be a bit loose before doing so. I was able to do this by myself without much effort, but maybe a second set of hands are needed if the tolerance stackup for yours is different.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for reporting your experience. I have my spats but no car....yet.

Did you have to get a trim removal tool as the instructions suggest or could you do the install using a flat bladed screwdriver??? I want to get the spats on the car as soon as I drive it home from the dealer.

Possibly will stick a piece of wide painters blue tape on the fender lip to protect it a bit until I get back from the dealer........yes, BTW, I am neurotic and anal........if that's possible.

Steve

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium
30 Posts
I used a flathead screwdriver. The clips are really easy to pop out.

As for my gap problem, I'll try loosening up all of the screws and see if I can get rid of the gap.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the response, Brian!!! I have a trim tool BUT perhaps will return it as maybe not needed.......this could be my last car......

Steve

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4 spd auto
26 Posts
Hi all . Current owner of an '09 Forester XT Ltd and soon to exchange for a '19 Ltd.
I'm looking at mudflaps. Do the weathertech have a "cup" on the inside like the OEM ones do ? if so I'll get Rokblokz instead.
My '09 has the OEM guards which have a small "cup" inside which causes ice and snow buildup in the wheel well.
I have "flat smooth" flaps on my Jeep and the ice / snow just slips right off. Especially if you spray with silicone.
Appreciate any info or pics of the inside surface of the weathertechs

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
187 Posts
Hi all . Current owner of an '09 Forester XT Ltd and soon to exchange for a '19 Ltd.

I'm looking at mudflaps. Do the weathertech have a "cup" on the inside like the OEM ones do ? if so I'll get Rokblokz instead.

My '09 has the OEM guards which have a small "cup" inside which causes ice and snow buildup in the wheel well.

I have "flat smooth" flaps on my Jeep and the ice / snow just slips right off. Especially if you spray with silicone.

Appreciate any info or pics of the inside surface of the weathertechs

See post # 4 this thread. Front install instructions have pics. Rear is similar.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4 spd auto
26 Posts
Here's a picture of the inside of the front flap. I don't have a picture of the rear flaps handy and I don't recall if it has "cups" in the design.
Thanks guys. :thumbsup:
From these pics I see lots of nooks and crannies where ice and snow can / will build up
I think the Rokbloz will be best for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts