Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Limited
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been watching a system that should hit oklahoma and parts of north texas Thursday.

latest report includes...
Freezing Rain = 0.75"+
Sleet = 5"+
Snow = 13"+

our past record was broken christmas eve, with 14 inches of snow.
the last ice storm was 2 years ago, and 3/4" of ice covered my truck. most of oklahoma city was without power at some point, some without power for almost 2 weeks.

buying some canned food tonight and a few extra blankets.
chris<pixelmonkey>:D

·
Registered
2017 Limited
1,017 Posts
We just got 5" rain yesterday with temps in the high 40's, that wiped out more than half of the 24" of snow we got last week. Crazy weather.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,073 Posts
I'm not excited about this after the terror of Christmas. People got stuck going out on Christmas Eve and ended up dying trying to abandon their vehicles. we couldn't even get the Subs out for 2 days cause of drifts against the garage door (we're northerners and are pretty good on the snow).

There are no plows here hardly, no salt trucks to speak of, very few sand. It was a mess for a long time. I'm not thrilled with a repeat performance.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Had a friend that owned a large body shop business, their t-shirts said "Pray for freezing rain" - it's the one condition that commands an additional measure of respect. A couple of years ago it caused major damage and a more than a week or two for some without power around Buffalo..generators were like gold, and my wood stove turned into the smartest money I'd ever spent.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
Global warming huh?!
Meanwhile in Anchorage Alaska, we have clear blue skies (about half of the last two weeks we've been able to see Mt.McKinley, what, some two hundred miles away)...and, well highs in the 20s and lows in the 10s. Excellent traction temps for snow.
-Quick

·
Registered
14 Limited
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks like it's really going to hit the fan!

OKLAHOMA CITY (NAM Accumulation)
Temperature falls to freezing = 8-9am
Snow accumulation = 0.5"+
Sleet accumulation = 0.0"
Frz Rain accumulation = 1.79"

NORMAN (NAM Accumulations)
Temperature falls to freezing = 8-9am
Snow accumulation = 0.4"+
Sleet accumulation = 0.0"
Frz Rain accumulation = 1.93"

this looks BAD!
if like the ice storm we had in 2007, most of the city was without power at some point, some without for more than 2 weeks!

i'll try to post updates and photos, but if i'm MIA, that means i'm without power!:eek:
chris<pixelmonkey>:D

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
I hate ice storms...
we had a small one last winter, which meant I got to stay home from work that day...

only because I couldn't get down the hill we call a driveway on my all-seasons without hitting a tree or two.

Stay warm and stay safe!

·
Registered
99 RS
111 Posts
even with Blizzaks etc... you need to drive with extreme caution. And yes, sometimes it is better to stay home.

·
Registered
99 RS
111 Posts
If you have blizakks etc, everyone still needs to use extreme caution with freezing rain. And yes, sometimes it is better to stay home.

·
Registered
99 RS
111 Posts
opps, sorry for double posting. I thought something was wrong when i didn't see it the first time.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
When conditions are that bad it is not a question about whether the FXT can handle it. My car is equipped for bad weather (studded tires and AWD).

My fear is the other cars on the road. No matter how careful you drive there is always an _______ on the road who just doesn't give a sh__.

If it is that bad....stay home.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,073 Posts
It has been raining what looks like tasteless Dippin Dots. Not pleasant. Half the city is without power, not us yet.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts