Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought an '04 FXT with 28k miles on it an i noticed that there was a whine when I hit about 50mph. I took it in to the Subaru dealership and found out that there was wear in the rear diff and the repair will cost $1,311.... Is it worth upgrading the rear diff if I can't get the dealership I bought this from (non subaru dealer) to fix or pay to have this fixed?

Any help is appreciated!

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Yeah, don't bother replacing it. The rear diff whine is normal around that speed (especially when you lift off the accelerator). I would try to change the diff fluid and just drive it until it starts to really get back, THEN worry about getting it fixed. With only 28,000 miles, I doubt it's bad or even worn badly. The rear diffs are known for making noise. Just replace the fluids every 15,000 miles or so and you'll be set.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It is kinda loud though especially at 70-90mph. I can start to hear it at 45 and it gets progressively louder and higher pitched with acceleration... IS this your experience? I can always drown it out with the radio as long as I'm not doing too much damage

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
Change the diff fluid, then get back to us. Use a good GL5 75w90. The rear diffs whine. Dealers love this because they make lots of money off of people who want to fix it.

·
Registered
03 WRX
525 Posts
I would say find a used one for around $400 and find some local members to help throw it in... couple of hours and a few beers.. the more beers the longer it takes... ha ha

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Since I got a 3k mile warranty when I bought the FXT a few weeks ago I'm going to see if they will just fix it or better yet give me the money so i can do it cheaper or possibly upgrade to a mechanical diff. I just have to get the run down from the dealer tomorrow to make sure it's just the diff and there are no issues with the transmission since they said the problem was in the rear of the transmission at the diff...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts