Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester 5MT
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently became the owner of a 2000 Forester L, with 87k original miles. I bought it from a family member who was only putting about 1,000 miles a year on the vehicle. It has sat a good part of the last 3 years. It runs/drives great, except for this nagging problem:

I bought the car in October, and noticed it cranked slowly after sitting overnight. Its always started so I haven't worried about it too much, but the other day when it was 10 degrees outside it would barely start...cranking very slow. I pulled out the battery to get it checked, and the test showed it was fine, but the charge was a little low.

I also notice that if I'm driving the car at night, and have the headlights and foglights on, and then turn on say the heater fan while idling at a stoplight, I can see the brightness of the odometer LCD drop noticeably and stay dim. This seems very strange for a 2000 model year car to have an alternator not capable of putting out enough juice to run 3 accessories at idle. I also notice a quick dim in the headlights if I tap the brakes while going down the highway to turn the cruise control off.

This leads me to believe the car has a weak alternator which needs to be replaced, or that the voltage regulator in the alternator is acting funky. Before I go outside in 10 degree weather to replace the alternator (I'll get it tested at the parts store before installing a new one), is there anything else that can cause this? I'm unfamiliar with Subies, but familiar with other vehicles. Alternators have either worked fine or died on my other vehicles, rather than just been weak.

Also, how are aftermarket alternators for these cars? Is an O'Reilly's reman worth getting or should I pony up the big bucks for a Subaru part?

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Hello. And welcome btw. The alternator on the SF as I know is only 75 amp. If you get problems starting because of low charge from the alternator it's probely the alternator saying good bye soon. The slight dim of the headlights when braking seems to be normal on these cars. But I would check that the belt is tight anyway before you do much else. also contact on the battery should be checked. Bad grounding can also cause some problems with power to things.

Anyway I have changed mine and got so lucky to be able to fit a 110amp alt from a 2009 impreza US-model. It got the same plug as mine. Only differents was that the alt was a bit more rugged so I had to slightly modify the bracket that holds the belt cover. That and the plug that is a 3 pin is only using two wires on the old forester versus 3 on the new impreza but that requires no modifications. How much better it is I don't know but I got rid of the annoying sound from my old alternator and my car seems a bit better. Possible that comes from the extra wires I added at the same time :biggrin:

I will when I get the chance to modify the headlights wiring by adding some
relay's for adding direct power to them. That way avoid the long way it has from the switch and back. That should get rid of any dimming when braking I hope plus improved lights.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts