Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations?

I'm currently using a liquid spray product by Eagle 1 Wax As-U-Dry and it seems to work nicely. Easy on, easy off, perfect for a lazy guy like me.

Another product I've tried and found to be quite excellent is a spray cleaner by Honda. This stuff works great on my bikes & helmets, removing all kind of crap and leave the surfaces shiny and protected. I haven't try it on the FXT yet, but I will after the next wash.

As excellent as these two products are, I don't know how well they would stand up in extreme environment, especially for folks living in the cold, dealing with corrosive salt sprays. For that, I think one would have to go with quality products. I've heard positive opinions about a product called Zaino, but haven't got the chance to try it out for myself.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Now you've done it.:) It seems waxes/polishes are a very personal choice. I've used Meguiar's #7 and #26 for years. I've also used the Zymol products. They're all good. My sons love the smell of the Meguiar's tire shine.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bullmtnbiker said:
My sons love the smell of the Meguiar's tire shine.
That's good stuff. I also use that to dress my tires. Much better than armor all, IMO.

G

·
Meguiars all the way. That's what I use religiously. ANd Clay Bars are the absolute best thing to do before you begin the process of waxing, right after my car is washed I dry it and then Clay Bar it, but I only do that about once a year depending on how dirty the car is, I'll wax my car like at least three times a year with about 3-4 coats of wax.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
I like Zaino and Klasse. I use Klasse more since it seems easier to work with and collects less dust. Both are excellent. If you prefer carnauba, P21S is great. Malms has the best shine but its carnauba % is so high that it can be hard to take off.

Clay bars are a great idea- takes off all the embedded brake dust and other particles that get stuck or embedded in your clear coat.

My ideal way is to wash the car and then claybar and wash it again. Then I put a coat of carnauba and let it sit a day before putting a syntheitc sealant on it. If I can't be bothered, I just put the two coats on right away.

It takes a lot of time so just put two coats on- maybe one coat of carnauba and one coat of Zaino or Klasse.

·
Premium Member
? ? ?
692 Posts
+1 for Klasse. Easy to use and looks great when finished. Oddly enough, people always rave about my wife's mini-van when I finish it off with Klasse. The metallic emerald green is a beautiful color when it's clean.

Michael

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
What is a clay bar? What does it do? I never wax my cars because they always come out with streaks which piss me off. I usually have my detailed, but would like to learn and wax it myself.

·
Registered
259 Posts
A clay bar is mostly used to remove imperfections off of the paint. My brother had a car that had tree sap dried on the surface. It had been on the car for 2 years and was pretty much a PITA to remove. The clay bar along with the spray used a lubricant took it right off.

I don't think it will help with the swirls. I wax my cars often enough that using a clay bar isn't really necessary.

G

·
Yeah if I bought a used car the first thing I would do is wash it then clay bar it, the bar takes everything off of the car that shouldn't be there, they are something I wish that I learned about sooner in life, it would've saved me much arm strength.
As for waxing, wax on in a circular motion let it haze up and then wax off with a different cloth in a circular motion. Do each panel at a time and don't do it in direct sunlight, it helps to let the car cool off it's hot already.
Check out this site for detalied info on a claybar and keep hitting next for other instructions on waxing a car or just detailing the car. I hope that this info is helpful to everyone.
http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/?page=surfaceprep

Here is the beginining of that article. Just keep hitting next for more info. http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/?page=detailing

·
Registered
2005 LGT Limited wagon
553 Posts
for cheap stuff, i like meguiars gold class paste or this stuff called collinite. it was originally made for waxing porcelain insulators on power lines (sounds crazy, i know) and it's now used for waxing fiberglass hulls on boats and waxing cars. it's works quite well and is VERY durable without being difficult to use.
if money isn't a concern, you can't beat Zaino.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I will give Klasse a try. The part where it says, "All-In-One contains no abrasives or silicones, and does not stain plastic, vinyl or rubber trim" sold me, as I hate it when a product messes up rubber trims & leaves glass greasy. And since it's acrylic formulated, I'll be expecting a high gloss finish when done. Thanks for the suggestion, guys.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
I tried some dupont teflon wax.. its lasted so far but it smelled horrible when I was waxing

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SenorSubie said:
I tried some dupont teflon wax.. its lasted so far but it smelled horrible when I was waxing
Shiny & smelly, a winning combination! :D

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax work great for me

·
I am the KING
looking for SF5
870 Posts
nthing but meguiars gold class or Eagle one here. Tried the exspensive id nothign for me.

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
SenorSubie, did you have a hard time buffing that Dupont wax out? I gave it a try about 2 weeks ago, did everything the same way I have always waxed in the past, but it took me over 2 hours, and some extremely tired arms to finish buffing the car. It looks pretty good now, but just not worth the effort IMHO. It may also be because it was only about 65 degrees F in my garage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts