Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am expecting delivery of my black 2010 Forester 2.5X Limited tomorrow.:biggrin: I opted for the 3M protection but not the paint protection. I read that this "protection" is just a wax that comes off - I'd rather have it waxed myself.

first off, I want to get it professionally waxed and a clay bar treatment done. yes, the same day i take delivery, as its Black. I want to baby it and be sure its protected.

Any recommendations? know of any good detailers in the GTA?

i'm currently looking at detailexpress as an option

cheers!

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
12 Posts
being brand new, it may not require a full on clay bar treatment. your best bet would be to put a sandwich bag over your hand and rub the body panels. if you feel it rough or dragging, you will need the treatment. in my opinion, do this first, and if you dont need it, just follow up with a coat of Klasse All in one, otherwise known as the best stuff on earth for your car. congrats on your new forester, you will love it!

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,140 Posts
What is clay bar treatment? There is so much on these boards that I don't understand!
A clay bar is used to remove tough road grime and imperfections from the clear coat and is usually used before waxing. However, phil will probably not need to clay bar his car because it is brand spankin new :bacon: and shouldn't have any grime or imperfections.

Car Care Products: Car Waxes to Leather Cleaners, Meguiar's the Leader in Car and Surface Care since 1901 thats what I use...

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
It's a detailing technique for smoothing the surface of your paint. Rubbing a clay polymer across the surface removes tiny burrs and imperfections without removing any of the clear coat. I'm not sure it is necessary on a new car though...try the plastic bag trick to see if the bag sticks, otherwise you're just wasting time and money.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
What is clay bar treatment? There is so much on these boards that I don't understand!
....I have several articles covering clay in here:
Detailing Library

In a nutshell, it is used to help remove contaminants on the surface of your finish that won't come during your normal wash routine. ....rail dust (from transportation during delivery), brake dust, industrial fallout, paint overspray, etc.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
A clay bar is used to remove tough road grime and imperfections from the clear coat and is usually used before waxing. However, phil will probably not need to clay bar his car because it is brand spankin new :bacon: and shouldn't have any grime or imperfections.
^ Ha. Beat me to it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
first off, I want to get it professionally waxed and a clay bar treatment done. yes, the same day i take delivery, as its Black. I want to baby it and be sure its protected.
....nothing wrong with that. Every new car I have taken delivery on in the past 25+ years I have done a full detail on. I have yet to buy a car that was not in need of some sort of correction and/or contaminate removal. Typically, I strip the vehicle first (decontaminate) to get rid of all wax/sealant, dressings, glaze/fillers, etc. that the dealer may have applied. I then feel each panel during the final wash looking for contaminants that may need something like a clay bar to remove. ....etc., etc. Obviously, what needs to be done is all dependent on your level of expectation.

As for a professional detailer in your area, I would highly suggest asking this question over on the Autopia.org forums (in the regionals).

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
We bought our 2008 model in June 2009 so it had been sitting on the lot for awhile, they had done a 'polish' with some mystery wax before we got it.
It needed a claybar/ polish/ wax and full detail really bad after we brought it home.

do you see the trucks going down the highway with 'new' cars hanging off the top? I bet your new black forester comes complete with a nice set of swirls.. :icon_frown:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Tim, i'll do the sandwich bag test for sure. :icon_idea:

I am thinking that it'll most likely need the clay cause its been sitting in some subie compound for some amount of days but only time will tell.

i'm going to definitely do a detailed wash, then clay test, then wax and polish.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Kean, thanks for the recommendations

:biggrin:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a detailing technique for smoothing the surface of your paint. Rubbing a clay polymer across the surface removes tiny burrs and imperfections without removing any of the clear coat. I'm not sure it is necessary on a new car though...try the plastic bag trick to see if the bag sticks, otherwise you're just wasting time and money.
as i just noticed.. this youtube vid is of a brand new truck getting the clay done.

If it doesnt need the clay, then i'll just take my time with the wax and polish!

i want to treat my subie top notch.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do you see the trucks going down the highway with 'new' cars hanging off the top? I bet your new black forester comes complete with a nice set of swirls.. :icon_frown:

exactly what i was thinking... dust, grime, pollutants, etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
exactly what i was thinking... dust, grime, pollutants, etc.
I am extremely happy about my new forester but as mentioned I have swirls upon swirls to buff out.

I picked up The meguiars nxt kit and the clay bar kit. This monday I'll take to it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
264 Posts
i think mine is due for a clay treatment. it needs a little sumerizing. I have this bird poop stain on my hood that lightened a 2 inch by 1 inch spot by a couple of shades. The poo spot was ALOT bigger to begin with, it looked like a seagull that ate boardwalk fries and washed it down with mayo. Sorry for the graphic. It was last summer, it must have happened in the morning and sat in the sun all day. I didn't get it off until the next morning. if you run your thumb nail across it, it feels a little rougher than the rest. Hopefully it is just surface and the clay will help it. Now if there was only a way to fix the front plastic bumper, it looks like Ray Liota on a Bad Day!

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
why not use the clay yourself and do all the detailing yourself?

i find it qute relaxing and therapeutic to make my car look like it should be on a show stand.

not only that, if you do it yourself you know its been done properly!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I am extremely happy about my new forester but as mentioned I have swirls upon swirls to buff out.

I picked up The meguiars nxt kit and the clay bar kit. This monday I'll take to it.

Thanks
....you can thank the Neanderthals/hacks most dealers have working in the back for that.

What came in the "NXT Kit" you picked up? You need to realize that their Tech Wax will do nothing to remove those swirls (although it may help hide some of the smaller scratches) and neither will the clay. For an off-the-shelf solution, you are going to need something with cutting ability like Meguirs Ultimate Compound, Scratch-X and or Swirl-X. ....all products that work well by hand but will still require quite a bit of work. With the right tools/products though, it would be much easier. ....although you can still get some decent results by hand if you put the time/effort into it.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
77 Posts
I bought my 2010 just after Christmas and never would have thought it needed a clay bar treatment already, but it does.
Unfortunately, I didnt think to check BEFORE I waxed it, so now I need to do it all over..

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
A week after I bought my Foz I bought the Meguiars Clay Bar kit but there was no need for it.

I used the Meguiars Deep Polish Step 2, then followed up with the NXT 2.0 wax. Simply awesome. I had the 3M protection done and just simply polished and waxed right over top with no problems and great results.
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae72/danykane/Subaru/IMG_0344.jpg

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Yeah, sandwich bag trick is good. usually, you can just run your finger over the finish and tell if you need clay or not.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4eat
130 Posts
....you can thank the Neanderthals/hacks most dealers have working in the back for that.
I agree but you seem to have very high standards. Nothing wrong with that but a car does not need clay if its brand new IMO. Like you said its all about expectations and what you are willing to do (or pay for).

Two weeks ago i picked up my 04 FXT. I just did clay bar today and for once it looks like the dealer did a good job. They were a bit ham-fisted but the paint was very clean and the clear appears to be acceptable thickness. My Civic was almost ruined by the dealer I got it from (and only the dealer). My 200sx before that same way.

I am no expert but I've had some very good advice on detailing. For most people with a new car I would say "Do not clay".

ps Subaru paint is not great imo. I've had experience with Nissans, Hondas. BMW and older Porsches. Subaru paint is not good. Now I see why they all have clear bras.

sorry for bumping an old thread I posted in my search :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts