Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm presently saving up my pennies to buy a Cambelt with tensioner kit for the when it comes time to make a change. Off fleabay £200

One question though, after watching a well known television 'buy a car and tart it up then sell it' program. The mechanic bod said when you change a cam belt it makes a good idea to change the water pump as well.

Does this apply to fozzies.

cheers
ubdai

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,881 Posts
How many miles??

If you were running to the US schedule of the FIRST timing belt change being at 105K miles then yes changing the pump and pulleys etc makes good sense.

With our timing belt schedule of 50/60K miles (depends on SF or SG) then maybe at the second change. Also depends on knowing the history of your vehicle.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,572 Posts
In all my previous PSA cars I have always changed the waterpump together with the cambelt. It only added the part price to the cost and fitting of the pump itself. No need to dismantle anything (has already been done for the cambelt). I guess if the same applies to Subaru engines it would make sense to do the same.
What's the cambelt schedule on the SG btw? 5yrs/?? miles?

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,572 Posts
ah! good old ed china, mr cautious mechanic. It wasnt the Peugoet 206 by any chance was it?
106 and 205 Gti (one of the best hot hatches and cars that I have driven :woohoo:)

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Anything that runs around the timing belt should be changed at the same time. (All the pulleys / gears, water pump, belt and tensioner) its just good practice.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
136 Posts
Yea change the water pump while your in there. I worked at a Dodge dealer,and you would not beleive how many people said no to the water pump, even after I explained to them that it will cost a lot more down the road if you don't do it now. I wasn't selling Dodge stuff just trying to help them out.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
I always used to replace the water pump when I changed cambelts on my 205 GTi's... but then again, a water pump is about £15 on a 205.

Having said that, when my cambelt was done recently by S4U, they didn't change the pump. At the end of the day, changing it is a bit of an insurance policy but if there are no visible signs of leakage and it's not noisy then there's no requirement to change it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts