Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my timing belt removed and was planning to replace water pump. Manual indicates that driver's side camshaft sprocket must be removed to remove rear cover, presumably for access to the tensioner bracket or water pump. When I looked closely I was not sure the sprocket and rear TB cover need to be removed.

The following post from several years back suggests that removal of camshaft sprocket is not necessary.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f66/timing-belt-pump-change-14416/index6.html

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a SOHC and yes I read that post (it's linked in my post). I could not tell whether he removed the sprocket to access the water pump. First pic shows water pump removed and sprocket in place so I suspected he did not.

thanks

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
32 Posts
Sorry didn't realize it was a different point on the same topic, I'll blame that on swine flu. The Chilton service manual I have says you need to take off the timing sprocket but the more I jogged my memory I am pretty sure I changed my water pump with the sprocket still on.

BTW if you are a Texas Tech fan are you watching the game, ABC 2:30 CT?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the answer by replacing water pump w/ driver's side camshaft sprocket in place. There really is no reason to remove the sprocket.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts