Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. My wife and I just bought our first "Grown up" car (previously owned 2 VW buses, and a bug,) a 2000 Forester with 140k mi. The Timing belt was replaced at about 101k according to a note in the engine compartment. We've had the car about 3 weeks and haven't had a problem, this is easily one of the best cars I've ever driven. The other day I noticed water on the floorboard in front of the front passenger seat when I picked up my wife's purse and it was wet enough to make your hand wet, but not dripping. It had been raining (As is usually the case in Olympia) so, I'm not sure if we have a leak, but this is the first time I noticed it and it's been raining a bit.

Could this be a water pump problem? Would they have replaced/serviced this when they replaced the timing belt?

Any thing I can do to test this? Or any other possible causes?

All help is appreciated, and I'm not afraid to get a little dirty if necessary. Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS 5mt
540 Posts
I've got what seems to be a very similar leak in the wifey's '00 Impreza RS. I haven't found a lot of helpful info in the small bit of research I've done. I'll be keeping my eye on the thread!

-Brian

·
Registered
2004 2.0 XT MT
67 Posts
Dan;
I am too new to Foresters to be familiar with the most likely areas for water to enter. But, what you are observing will either be rain water or coolant. If it is coolant (an unreliable test is checking by smell) I would suspect the heater core, heater valve or heater hoses. If it is rain water I'd check the windscreen by spraying soapy water around the perimeter, and blowing compressed air around the weatherstrip from the inside. If it bubbles, you've found the leak.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
If the leak is coolant from the heater core you would most likely have a hard time de fogging the glass since it would bring a steam like environment to the cabin.

Check weather stripping around the door. Also wet feet can soak a carpet. Rubber mats help.

I think there is a drain type plug in the footwell that might need looking into.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
662 Posts
When I found water ponding on the inside passenger side floor it was because my front windshield leaked. I recently had it replaced because of a crack and the guys who replaced the window left gaps in the molding and also did not seal the window properly. I had my wife pour water on the roof along the passenger side roof rack so the water would flow down to the windshield and molding. While laying with my head near the floor, I watched water drip into the passenger side footwell. The water entered the cabin through the breach in the window molding and sealant, traveled down through the A-pillar and to the floor.

Just another scenario.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
+1 on giving the windshield seal a good check; mine leaked this winter. At least the fix was easy, but drying the carpets out afterwards was a PITA. Another thing to check is that the A/C drain hose is clear. If it gets blocked then the condensate has nowhere to go and it backs up till it overflows onto the floor. There were also some threads on here where about a missing rubber grommet where that drain hose goes out through the sheetmetal and rainwater was coming in there (though I can't see enough water getting in that way to really soak the carpet).

-- Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts