Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2004 - Water/methanol injection, share your experience!

12K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Polkhead 
Very interesting! I have a friend running a methanol system on his BMW 335i, he rates it.

So you're using it to help the engine run better rather than for power? I presume that you can use 93 instead of having to keep finding Shell stations for 99?

Forgive me for asking what may be a bone idle question - but what is the purpose of a water/meth injection kit, and how exactly does it work?
Methanol has a higher octane level which allows you to run higher compression and more aggressive ignition timing for more power, especially on forced induction engines. In the same way it can be used as an octane booster for lower octane fuels that you wouldn't normally use.

It if you were to run the same compression with petrol then you might get diesel like detonation during the compression cycle.

By squirting in some meth or water, or water meth mix, you also cool the intake gases. So the cooling can also increase power. It also can lead to a cleaner engine apparently. The BMW M4 GTS has a water injection system as standard. You're also reducing exhaust gas temperature, which must help the turbo stay cooler.

My mother has a Cooper-Alta race car from the 1950s which was originally made to run on something called nitro-methane. It now runs on pure methanol because nitro-methane is hard to get hold of and I suspect a bit dangerous! You have to be careful with methane anyway because it burns with a clear flame. She buys it in fairly large quantities.

That's all I know. I want to fit it to my car!

This was done on a Dynapack hub dyno so the variables associated with rolling roads are eliminated Abbey say there is approximately 100hp difference between their system and surrey rolling road on four wheel drive car .
Here is a sneak preview .
Main switch turns on system when the following parameters are met:
40% throttle
1.2 bar boost
4000rpm

Water/meth also triggers a higher boost map to 1.9 bar .:surprise:

If the water/meth level drops below the float switch to the point where it opens it turns off the w/m injection system and lowers boost back to normal high boost.
Totally automated
Also if the flow sensor detects low flow it will also turn off the system .

By the way @theshootist your Mum rocks for having a methanol powered car:Banane08::Banane08:
Wow that is impressive.

Is it possible to make a water methanol system work with the existing ECU?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.