Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2004 - Water/methanol injection, share your experience!

12K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Polkhead 
Considered this on my last car but decided against it, meth is really nasty stuff and didn't want to have to worry about it in the event of a prang or have it in the cabin as loss of consciousness, blindness, coma, seizure, or death are the risks associated with long term exposure from leaks. Just inhalation of four ounces causes irreversible damage to your nervous system.
Don’t get this :confused:

Methlylated spirits is around 5% methanol and I don’t see french polishers dropping dead across the country...they use vast quantities.

Sure, methanol isn’t very nice, but the stuff coming out the back of you car kills a damned sight more people than methanol....and 10 gallons of hydrocarbons pumped all around the car every few days doesn’t seem to worry most people.

Methanol is just another kind of alcohol...bit poisonous, so don’t drink it. It can make you car go faster.

Health and safety’s gone mad these days......

Would I be correct in thinking that Methanol is what I used in my Mini Cooper S all those years ago - if I recall correctly I added 1 gallon in each of the 5 gallon tanks.
Reckon that would have probably been avgas, Kevin. No sure if you could add methanol at a 5:1 mix without having to retune the carbs. Avgas would just require a timing tweak to get the most out of it.

I don't know the details but i do know when I tweak my Nitro RC cars (Nitromethane/methanol mixture) in the garage with engine running, even with the door wide open after a few seconds i have to get out of there or it feels like my eyes will burst into flames. Yup, the stuff is hazardous to be around at least post-combustion
Pretty sure that will be the nitromethane. Exhaust gasses from a nitromethane burning engine will contain a fine mist or cloud of nitric acid. Fair quantity of it too.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.