Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2004 - Water/methanol injection, share your experience!

12K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Polkhead 
#1 ·
It seemed a no brainer to me that a good w/m injection kit would provide high octane fuel and reduce cylinder temperatures for virtually free after the initial outlay also it steam cleans your combustion chambers reducing burnt deposits causing hot spot on valves and cylinder heads, I opted for the tuner kit which is controlled via my link ecu .

A few rubbish photos of the install
Drink Alcoholic beverage Liqueur Alcohol Distilled beverage
Auto part Bicycle part Disc brake
Sky Light Wall Lighting Atmosphere
Vehicle Car Car seat Auto part Car seat cover
Trunk Vehicle Car Family car Crossover suv
Auto part Gas
Tire Windshield Automotive exterior Automotive tire Auto part
Vehicle door Hood Automotive exterior Bumper Electric blue
Vehicle door Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle Fender
Hand Finger Plant Thumb

See less See more
Discussion starter · #17 ·
So this is the final fitment of the tank and the pump .

I bolted it to the rear strut brace as I didn't want anything that couldn't be undone note the tank is above the pump as it is a push pump .
The car now is at the Mappers waiting for the final tune , I don't know what the final result will be im guessing 15%more POWER
Ill still be running 99ron fuel ending any speculation of running normal pump gas .

For anyone that's interested ill be posting before and aft figures and whats been done in the engine bay regarding check valves ,pulse width modulating valves and injector nozzle sizes.

A lot of this knowledge has been acquired from NASIOC forums as there is piles of info on w/m injection .

Attachments

Discussion starter · #19 ·
This was done on a Dynapack hub dyno so the variables associated with rolling roads are eliminated Abbey say there is approximately 100hp difference between their system and surrey rolling road on four wheel drive car .
Here is a sneak preview .
Main switch turns on system when the following parameters are met:
40% throttle
1.2 bar boost
4000rpm

Water/meth also triggers a higher boost map to 1.9 bar .:surprise:

If the water/meth level drops below the float switch to the point where it opens it turns off the w/m injection system and lowers boost back to normal high boost.
Totally automated
Also if the flow sensor detects low flow it will also turn off the system .

By the way @theshootist your Mum rocks for having a methanol powered car:Banane08::Banane08:

Attachments

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Evening all.
I picked the car up yesterday afternoon so I had a slow boring drive home and didn't really get a chance to give it some.
But today I found a long empty straight bit of road and can confirm the car is quite brisk and torque steers alot in 5th gear at 5000rpm.

These are positions of the pulse width modulation valve , the ait sensor , and the nozzle that now works like a normal oem injector .

Attachments

Discussion starter · #26 ·
So this is the very impressive small switch that I added to turn the injection on and off via the Link G4+
Clever Link !

Attachments

Discussion starter · #27 · (Edited)
On Saturday I had an unfortunate experience in regards to boost tube blowing off and I can inform people it was quite alarming …. a massive squeal / whistle ! so I had a quick squiz on the web and apparently hair spray is best to put on clamped joints , who would think that up ? I think this happened because of the new 1.9bar boost
Whilst I was there I thought that I should do a bit of wrapping to keep the coolside cool and the hot side hot .
Also you can see the head light conversion to black that I did a while back .

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.