Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on the fence for a LONG time about water/meth injection. On one hand, I like the benefits of using such a system (improved performance, lower EGTs, etc.). On the other hand, I'm leary of potential failures, another mechanical system to maintain on a daily driver, etc.

But it would appear that this is becoming more popular and that the kits are getting better. I've looked at Aquamist, Coolingmist and recently the AEM kit which seems to be getting some good reviews with its recirculation-style pump.

I am upgrading my TMIC and induction track over the next few months and since I'll be going for a tune tweak, I am once again considering doing injection. Anyone out there who is running water/meth injection, any feedback/comments are appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Very interested in your findings as it's something I've considered running. Will be watching this thread closely.

Stan

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
if you are looking for more consistant power id looking in2 e85 or race gas. i used to run methanol injection on my sti.

the newer kits come w/ failsafes if you are worried about failures. but IMHO for a daily driver, id leave it alone. plus you have to source methanol mixed already or mix it yourself. its a hassle and expensive!

fyi the only kits id look @ are the cooling and aqua and those kits can go from 600-1000.

·
Registered
2012 VW TDI R-Wagen DSG
1,046 Posts
I have been on the fence also about the AEM. I think EFI recommends it. People do have problems with falure. I think there is a auto cut off on the AEM I have to research it more. There is some hardware that could fail also like gaskets pumps etc.. I was thinking about running it with the 5 gal. tank in the trunk. Then you have to run a plastic tube to the front.I would try to replace that with a SS line. Meth is a great bang for the buck. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
Meth is a great bang for the buck. I'll keep you posted.
its really not that much of a "bang" anymore. consider the fact youll need a new tune(250-500), the kit itself(500-1000), and then purchase and mix your own methanol(7-15/gallon) i dont see the bang @ all.

where-as you can just get some larger injectors(400), a new tune(250-500), and go2 a gas station that has e85(under 3/gallon).

i cant stress this enough e85 or race gas is much more consistant fail-proof power. coming from some1 who had a meth kit b4...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
225 Posts
I have been running an AEM kit I installed myself in my stock turbo 2004 Forester XT for about a year. It is protuned on the medium nozzle (I think it's 370cc if I remember correctly). The mix is right at 57% meth/43%distilled. I have the failsafe wired to cut power to the BCS if there is fault so boost would only be at wastegate psi. I have had zero issues with the system and would recommend it to anyone.

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been running an AEM kit I installed myself in my stock turbo 2004 Forester XT for about a year. It is protuned on the medium nozzle (I think it's 370cc if I remember correctly). The mix is right at 57% meth/43%distilled. I have the failsafe wired to cut power to the BCS if there is fault so boost would only be at wastegate psi. I have had zero issues with the system and would recommend it to anyone.
Where did you mount the tank? Pics?

Also, how often do you have to refill the tank (I realize this depends on driving habits)?

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
you can set the kit up to not use a drop unless WOT, so it really does have everything to do w/ your right foot. this is just a generalization but w/ normal driving(stretching your legs every once in a while) id expect to have to fill up a 1gallon meth tank every 2 gas fill ups.

also most kits have a low level light, so you know not to get on it...

·
Registered
2006 FAXT 5mt
525 Posts
don't be afraid of the meth. you don't have to run alcohol all the time the water by it's self raises octane and compression read history of water injection online. catapiller runs water injection on all their diesel turbos.plus you can run denatured alcohol . the only reason the air force used alcohol was to keep the water freezing at high altitude. lucky accident. it produced even more horse power.

·
Registered
2012 VW TDI R-Wagen DSG
1,046 Posts
I mounted my tank inside the tight fender . The Filler cap is by hole where the cold air air intake is . It was recommended by a few people to not run it in the cabin.

I could probably go 4 tanks fulls on 1 gallon , It only sprays when you are on boost. It depends on your driving habits. I'm using the smallest nozzle from the AEM kit

·
Registered
2007 XT - 5MT ELH, EWG, E85, Kinugawa TD06SL 20G 8cm
1,587 Posts
for those suggesting e85 how does that work? just a matter of switching maps between e85 and pump gas, but how? there will always be some left over fuel on the other kind in the tank, ie can i switch to e85 w/1 gallon of 93 in the tank or viceversa?

·
Registered
My07 FXT
288 Posts
yes i'm an addict........:biggrin:

i've been using the coolingmist varicool2 for abt 1.5years. mix is 50/50 but a buddy advised me recently to up it to 70meth/30water. going to re-tune with that mix after i've run-in the rebuilt engine.

i removed the spare wheel and put the 6L tank & pump combo in there. the spray nozzle is at the mouth of my tmic.

there was a rs232 connector on the adjustment panel in the kit so i got a rs232-usb connector/cable and hooked it up to my carpc and viola! real time logging/priming etc on the touchscreen. :icon_biggrin:

Cooling Mist software displayed on my carputer screen upfront

Selection of how much to spray at what boost etc......

The pump integrated with the 6L container.

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going with the Aquamist HSF-3 kit and will be spraying the "cheap blue" windshield washer fluid (32% meth/68% H2O). Will be using the stock windshield washer reservior too. I will be taking plenty of photos and will post a comprehensive review of the install and results when completed.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
for those suggesting e85 how does that work? just a matter of switching maps between e85 and pump gas, but how? there will always be some left over fuel on the other kind in the tank, ie can i switch to e85 w/1 gallon of 93 in the tank or viceversa?
You ECU has the ability to trim up to 15% from the nominal calibration. With a purely stock calibration, you can run up to ~5 gallons of E85 without a retune and the ECU will have the range to deal with it.

I personally don't advocate map switching. I say pick a fuel and run it. If you need to switch in an emergency (ie, running E85 and you are traveling, need fuel, and can't get it), go for it.

So if you don't have E85 easily available to you, don't run it. Run meth injection or just deal with the limitations of crappy pump gas.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
yes i'm an addict........:biggrin:

i've been using the coolingmist varicool2 for abt 1.5years. mix is 50/50 but a buddy advised me recently to up it to 70meth/30water. going to re-tune with that mix after i've run-in the rebuilt engine.

i removed the spare wheel and put the 6L tank & pump combo in there. the spray nozzle is at the mouth of my tmic.

there was a rs232 connector on the adjustment panel in the kit so i got a rs232-usb connector/cable and hooked it up to my carpc and viola! real time logging/priming etc on the touchscreen. :icon_biggrin:

Cooling Mist software displayed on my carputer screen upfront

Selection of how much to spray at what boost etc......

The pump integrated with the 6L container.
The display is nice. Looks video game like. Nice work!

·
Registered
My07 FXT
288 Posts
The display is nice. Looks video game like. Nice work!
Thanks.

problem is........i sometimes drive like i'm playing a video game.......especially on the track........with 4amps hitting the need for speed soundtrack hard......haha!! :biggrin::biggrin:

on my last trackday in december i brought a few containers of meth with me.......only to discover the outlet valve connected to the pump wasn't working.......sigh........ended up dumping the meth.......:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts