Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I MT Manual
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 has developed a leak somewhere in the hatch area.

The roof liner is wet around the middle seatbelt holder. But the area around the child seat anchors is dry. I guess the middle seatbelt is the lowest point in the head liner. Anyway, what is above the roof liner that can leak?

I am assuming the roof rack does not bolt thru the roof ...I hope anyway.

Where do the sunroof drains end? Could the sunroof drains be clogged and overflowing?

How do I remove the headliner?

Thanks for any help offered.

Phil

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The leak is definitly coming from the roof. Attached is a photo which shows the water-stained head liner. For orientation, at the lower, center of the picture is the seat belt bulge.

Higgledy

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
That sucks. The roof rack DOES bolt on thru the roof, so it could be leaking. Not a common problem though as it is sealed really well.

I would suspect the leak would have something to do with the moonroof drains.There are two drain tubes that run under the headliner from the back of the moonroof to the rear hatch area and they come down on the right and left of the hatch opening and drain out thru a hole that leads to inside the rear bumper.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
My '06 has developed a leak somewhere in the hatch area... what is above the roof liner that can leak?... Where do the sunroof drains end? Could the sunroof drains be clogged and overflowing?
How do I remove the headliner?...
More likely the sunroof than the roof rails. The sunroof drains go down from each corner into the A and C pillars. It is not unusual for the gasket around the glass panel to weep water. Any seepage drips into the perimeter gutter and goes down the nearest drain tube. Perhaps a drain is plugged, or the rubber tube has come loose from its spigot under the gutter.

Do you leave the sunroof open where leaves or pine needles can get into the track and gutter, and do you take the car through carwashes which can push water past the gasket? You can easily get into the front drains, and maybe at least see and reach the rears. Take a look before dropping the headliner, which would only be for reattaching a tube.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks sea-scooby. I do have a moonroof. Are the drain openings visible with the moonroof open?

That sucks. The roof rack DOES bolt on thru the roof, so it could be leaking. Not a common problem though as it is sealed really well.

I would suspect the leak would have something to do with the moonroof drains.There are two drain tubes that run under the headliner from the back of the moonroof to the rear hatch area and they come down on the right and left of the hatch opening and drain out thru a hole that leads to inside the rear bumper.

·
Registered
84 Posts
check the seals ...

and check any brockage of the back sunroof drain tubes, it should be near the tail light area.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks bigdadi. I don't see any opening near the taillight area. I opened the hatch and looked around that area. Do I need to look around the car near the taillight area?

Anyone have pictures?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How easily can these drain tubes disconnect from their spigot? I am thinking of trying to snake the rear drains (if I can find the openings) I am planning on trying some weed eater line as my snake. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2017 Limited
1,018 Posts
How easily can these drain tubes disconnect from their spigot? I am thinking of trying to snake the rear drains (if I can find the openings) I am planning on trying some weed eater line as my snake. Thoughts?
Weedeater line as a plumbing snake is a good idea, Where I work we use the heavy grade commercial stuff on a spool, cut what we need. I think it's a 100feet or so and available at Lowes or Home Depot. It is about 1/8" maybe a dite less in diameter, and pretty stiff too.

·
Registered
01 Forester S
51 Posts
I found the source of the leak on my '01 S is coming from between the back of the gutter (passenger side) and the plastic piece with the nipple that the drain connects to. Any ideas how to fix / replace this w/o dropping the whole track and/or replacing the entire track assembly? (forum won't allow me to post a link to the photo yet... need more posts!) Thanks!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found the source of the leak on my '01 S is coming from between the back of the gutter (passenger side) and the plastic piece with the nipple that the drain connects to. Any ideas how to fix / replace this w/o dropping the whole track and/or replacing the entire track assembly? (forum won't allow me to post a link to the photo yet... need more posts!) Thanks!
This is where mine leaked from, too. Where do you live? I know a guy in Maryland who fixes water leaks in cars, he fixed mine.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
900 Posts
you pop the headliner loose from the back and drop it down enough to look at the moonroof rails. I fill the channel with water and watch it. For the drains I unplug the tubes and blow compressed air thru it.. Other than that, if you see the end cap leaking, "Right Stuff" sealant works great

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XT
7 Posts
I have a 2005 Forester following g heavy rain last night have a huge water patch centering from the 3rd seat belt hole in roof liner. Time to pop the roof liner off!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts