Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester Turbo PPP
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have a Forester that has developed a nasty water leak into the right hand drivers foot well.
Have tried out the sunroof drains and they seem to work ok with water comming out onto the road a it should do.
We have just had a period of very cold weather with snow etc and it has started leaking since this period.
Any ideas :icon_question:

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X LEV II
67 Posts
It seems your heater core might have a leak. Is it Just Water or maybe some antifreeze too?

·
Registered
2005 Forester Turbo PPP
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems your heater core might have a leak. Is it Just Water or maybe some antifreeze too?
I think its just water and no anti freeze,but lots of it and only when it rains heavy.
The water seems to come in from the right of the accelerator pedal (right hand drive).
I have been drying it out with towells etc.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Not an exact answer but searching pulled up to many unrelated threads(?) Pull the carpets back in the footwell area, there is a rubber plug that if I recall has given a few members the same problem. The plug is there to provide a pass-through for additional wiring or could be there for another markets needs (could be for the need to have LH Drive models and RHD models wiring). It supposedly gets dry and brittle and either pops out or splits allowing water in. I'll practice my English and recommend a torch (flashlight) will come in handy. How'd I do.
Good luck and hope you find the source of the leak.

Let us all know when you solve the problem. Cheers

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Check the area infront of the windshield (has a sort of grate over it, the motor for the windshield wipers are in there too). This is where the HVAC brings air in when not in recirc mode. If theres too much debris it will clog up the drain for it and you'll get water leaking in.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My daughter had to have entire sunroof replaced in her 09 Forester due to bad leak during heavy rain.

good luck

·
Registered
2005 Forester Turbo PPP
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update.

Guys its leaked again over the weekend and the wet spot is now 'isolated' to a soggy spot under the pedals sort of in the middle.
It didn't rain over the weekend so ..............:icon_question:

·
Registered
2005 Forester Turbo PPP
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

The water leak is getting worse now but I think I have located exactly where the water is coming in.
The water is getting in right at the back and centre of the sunroof.
If you pour water on this point it only takes a few seconds for it to come through to the footwell.
Its right at the back of the sunroof and dead center on the rubber seal thing.

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The water leak is getting worse now but I think I have located exactly where the water is coming in.
The water is getting in right at the back and centre of the sunroof.
If you pour water on this point it only takes a few seconds for it to come through to the footwell.
Its right at the back of the sunroof and dead center on the rubber seal thing.

Any ideas ?

If the sunroof were leaking (they all do) the drains will normally handle it. Since you state the water appears in the footwell within a few seconds, I have a suggestion:

If you are pouring water onto the roof, the leak may be the seam that runs along the side of the roof. If I remember correctly, there is what looks like a black rubber strip in the roof. Sometimes the body seam beneath that comes apart. When it does, water will run very quickly down the A pillar post and pour into the footwell area.

Best way to test is to remove the interior trim piece on the side of the footwell area. You should be able to see the outer body panel then. Have a friend use a hose and begin by pouring water into the cowl in front of the windshield. If it stays dry, move the hose up along the side of the windshield to check for leaks. If it's still dry, move to the roof seam. I bet you'll see water pouring in then. If it's leaking there, it's best to leave the repair to a pro.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Turbo PPP
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the sunroof were leaking (they all do) the drains will normally handle it. Since you state the water appears in the footwell within a few seconds, I have a suggestion:

If you are pouring water onto the roof, the leak may be the seam that runs along the side of the roof. If I remember correctly, there is what looks like a black rubber strip in the roof. Sometimes the body seam beneath that comes apart. When it does, water will run very quickly down the A pillar post and pour into the footwell area.

Best way to test is to remove the interior trim piece on the side of the footwell area. You should be able to see the outer body panel then. Have a friend use a hose and begin by pouring water into the cowl in front of the windshield. If it stays dry, move the hose up along the side of the windshield to check for leaks. If it's still dry, move to the roof seam. I bet you'll see water pouring in then. If it's leaking there, it's best to leave the repair to a pro.
You have to pour the water right in the middle of the back edge of the sun roof and the water when poured here goes right through and into the dashboard and out near the bonnet release lever (right hand drive).
The drainage holes left and right seem to work perfectly,the problem is at the back edge of the roof.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had a drain tube separate from the drain pan on a Toyota sunroof. Unfortunately to repair I had to pull down the head liner, a real pain.

good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts