Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, im a newbie subie here.
I just purchased 2004 Foz XT and notice a water leak under my car on the driver side. It was just for one day, and today I notice the same water leak around the exhaust area.
I smelled the leak and it had no odor or color and its just a random water drip.
Is this normal?
Thanks again

·
Registered
2017 Limited
1,018 Posts
Hello all, im a newbie subie here.
I just purchased 2004 Foz XT and notice a water leak under my car on the driver side. It was just for one day, and today I notice the same water leak around the exhaust area.
I smelled the leak and it had no odor or color and its just a random water drip.
Is this normal?
Thanks again
Your car will drip condensate from the HVAC system when and after it is used with the AC pump running, and the exhaust will drip exhaust gas condensate as well at anytime it can get out the muffler tips, it is a by-product of the combustion process. I've seen other late model Fozzies have large amounts of condensate come from the tailpipe especially on acceleration from a stop, or going up hill. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
man youre fast.....its not the AC, i moved the car today for street sweeping and didnt notice the leak when i moved it......but when i went to move it back to my house i saw the leak under the exhaust and i didnt use the AC at all today

·
Registered
2017 Limited
1,018 Posts
It's possible that your muffler(s) may have "weep" holes in them to allow condensate to drip out at it's leisure. It is common on many mufflers, the weep hole is usually only anout 1/8" diameter. If that's not it, and the drip is clear, odorless and tasteless, I don't know what it could be, so it would time for a visit to the shop.

Also, the AC pump will run when the Subie HVAC dial is on "Defrost".

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
when you move your car in the morning, water usually comes out of the tailpipe. it's normal condensation as water is a byproduct of the combustion process. you usually don't notice it and it just steams off after your exhaust gets hot. unless you're losing coolant, i wouldn't worry. on the other hand, if you are, a lot of liquid usually is an indicator of failing head gaskets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im going to have the mechanic look at it tomorrow when i bring it in for 60k check.
Water first was dripping under driver side, now in back around exhaust but not actually from the exhaust.
Just looked at my car again and no leak, weird, but i guess it beats pool of water under the carpets...knock on wood :biggrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts