Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Forest L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a water leak in my 2001 forester L. I have know clue where it is but i get 1-2 inches of water on the driver side floor and rear passenger drive side. I have know clue where the leak is but it usually happens when it down pours and typically when my forester is parked. Also sometimes the water is on the floor board of the front driver side but if i go to drive it somehow gos to the back floor board. This has been driving me nuts i can't seem to find a location of the leaks i would like to find it and repair it.

·
Road Warrior
1995 Legacy L SW 5 speed manual
412 Posts
Does it have a sunroof?

Are all your door and window seals in good condition?

Are there any buidlup of leaves down inside the cowl?

Those would be the places to start.

If those are all in good condition, then take a water hose and just start running water over the car and in places while someone inside the car looks for leaks.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
has the windshield been replaced before, could be leaking if not done properly?

do you have a sunroof (guess not if L instead of S)?

i believe the A/C drain hose is on the passenger side (is in my '04), so that's probably not it.

if it doesn't smell like antifreeze, probably not heater core leaking.

have you or a previous owner parked under trees and/or driven on dirt roads a lot? debris can accumulate behind the fenderwell liner and the plastic on the side of the car. if a body plug was missing or not seated and the debris got high enough, that could be a potential source of a leak. i noticed this on my '04 when I had the passenger side fenderwell liner loose to install an antenna last weekend.

also, i had a mazda wagon once that did leak on the driver's side in the front and back. i noticed a funny sound driving around previous to a large rainstorm and the leak, but it wasn't quite like a "sloshing". what happened was i had to go to a junkyard for some good reason and i noticed mine was missing a body plug under the bottom of the driver's door, so i also got a plug and installed it (it already had a similar plug installed on the passenger side). quite some time went by before i got the water so i didn't immediately connect the 2. when i pulled the carpet back there was a hole in the rocker panel where water was now coming through. when i looked things over better i saw a raised area at the bottom of the rocker panel area under the door near the bottom of the front fender and thought it was probably to drain water. i got a small screwdriver or stick and carefully poked in there ... voila, out came the trapped water and such!

another thing that could happen is if the car was improperly jacked up, the metal flange under the doors could have been bent and stopped up a drain channel.

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Forest L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for both replies but i tried the hose method nothing and i have checked everything it seems to happen either in a down pour or when its raining for days. Thank you though i'll keep looking then. Yes it was previously owned all though i know nothing of its prier use thank you Forgot to mention no sun roof

1 - 4 of 4 Posts