Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching deionizer systems for quite sometime and finally came to a conclusion. It was between the DI Rinse system and the Griots Garage system. Griots provides a LIFETIME warranty on all parts minus the resin and it was $100 less before my 10% off coupon. It was $269 shipped and I plan on trying it out this weekend. The TDS of my water is around 220 so, based on that, I should get about 350 gallons of high quality deionized water. You don't use the water for washing...only for the final rinse for a spot-free dry. Therefore, if you use no more than 5-gallons (which is probably still more than needed for a final rinse), I can wash my vehicles 70+ times before the resin needs to be replaced. For those that may be interested, the link is below:

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,575 Posts
Did you look at RO units? I assume there is a filter in the unit? How much do the resins cost?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
37,485 Posts
@adc the fow rate for an RO system, I have one, is pretty low... pretty much "pee rate", so I don't think that would work.

@securityguy curious... with the water softener system you have installed, the water should contain near zero minerals, so do you really need the Griot's DI water filtration system?

I bought a Griot's DI water filtration system in 2001 & have replaced the DI resin many times... makes my "butt pucker" every time I have to buy a replacement bag of resin! I've looked around & Griot's price for mixed bed deionization resin is the best. :(

Bobby...

When Griot's originally sold this system, pretty much the same price, it came with the handy transport cart shown above.

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for answering @adc question. RO's can not be used based on volume and cost. Great for your kitchen faucet to get ultra pure water but that's it. @2.5x_sleeper, a water softener eliminates hardness by replacing calcium and other minerals with a sodium ion. That makes the water soft but does NOT eliminate spotting as it will leave sodium residue on the car instead of calcium, etc. A lot of people think that water softener will eliminate spotting...only deionized water will do so as you need all of the mineral content removed.

Where did you get that resin indicator? Looks like a great idea but I also bought a $10 TDS meter off amazon to check the output periodically.

·
Administrator
37,485 Posts
@securityguy I saved that TDS monitor when the company I worked for (retired now) decided it was too expensive to use a DI water filtering system. I worked for a telco & the wet batteries required a huge amount of mineral free water! They went back to purchasing gallon jugs of distilled water.

It's "old school", VERY simple, basically just a neon bulb & a power source. Odds are pretty good they're no longer made. Everything has gone to the digital meters, which I have for checking our RO water filtration system & aquarium water.

Bobby...

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,125 Posts
Interesting thread. I've seen these for years in catalogs and always wondered how well they worked.

·
Administrator
37,485 Posts
@subatron the mixed bed deionization... DI water filter produces mineral free water, but at a cost. The length of time the resin will last depends on the TDS of the incoming water & how often you use the DI water filter. I have to buy 13 pounds of replacement DI resin, every other year.

Once you buy their DI water filter, they have you as a "repeat" customer, as you will need replacement resin. I figure I'm up around $700 on resin now!

Replacing the resin, the first time, is tricky... not as easy to do as the instructions leads you to believe! It leave off a lot of the details that you will have to discover on the fly! On the positive side... it's easier the second time after you fabricate a funnel & source O-ring grease.

Bobby...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@2.5x_sleeper I watched a video of an RV guy that came up with an ingenious way to flush and refill the resin. I plan on doing this to my unit too. Simple and easy!

If I have to spend $100 to get a spot-free rinse for an entire year...or two...well worth the investment IMPO.

·
Administrator
37,485 Posts
Removing the depleted resin is the "easy" part. Unscrew the valve assemble head & dump it out into a 5 gallon bucket, rinse with clean water till all the resin beads are removed... "piece of cake". This is assuming the valve assembly head isn't "seized" onto the tank! :eek:

Of course placing the 13 pounds of "wet" resin back into the tank is another challenge. Don't pour in the resin as shown on the Griot's instructions below, you will end up with a mess! Make yourself a simple funnel & tape it to the top.

Bobby...
1589776297138.png
1589776033720.png

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,575 Posts
I would still think that it is more important to do a better job of filtering instead of DI.. How does the DI system get rid of very fine particulate matter that ultimately will be left behind as the water dries.

I would live to see a controlled experiment comparing regular, DI, and super filtered water. Both my cars are white so IO doubt you would see any difference here. That's why I like white cars..lol

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
545 Posts
@adc , this is anecdotal, hardly a controlled experiment. Years ago I had a recirculating DI system put in at work (needed non-conducting cooling water). The system was initially filled with filtered tap water. I was unfamiliar with DI water, so learned a bit.

I took home a gallon to use in the steam iron, and for a home experiment for the kids. I put a small puddle of the DI on a mirror, and next to it, a puddle of filtered tap water. After evaporation, a white deposit remained where the tap water was; nothing was visible where the DI had been. Not as dramatic as bringing home liquid nitrogen, but still interesting. Our tap water is quite good, with a "typical" hardness of around 122 mg/l calcium carbonate. The home water filter isn't necessary, but my wife likes it.

(demineralized = deionized, or at least it did 20 years ago)

·
Administrator
37,485 Posts
@securityguy since you're feeding the Griot's DI water filter from your water softener, I suspect the DI resin life will be much long than mine, as my water source is city tap water which has a TSD of around 110 ppm.

If you decide to shop around for replacement resin, you want mixed bed resin, which is different than what's used in a water softener. In addition, my research told me there is an advantage in getting "fresh" resin, so you don't want to buy resin & store it too long before using it.

As expensive as Griot's replacement resin is, it's the lowest price I could find for 13 pounds of nuclear... mixed bed resin.

Bobby...

·
Administrator
37,485 Posts
@adc more poop on RO water filtration, which I have installed in my house. The RO water filtration system I have has 7 stages of filtration. The water is amazing, as the RO membrane filtration of 0.0001 micron can filter out bacteria! As good as it is, it's still has trace amounts of minerals, our system is around 8 ppm. This can be improved on by adding a DI filter stage, but really not worth bothering with for normal household use.

The RO water filtration system wastes a lot of water! About 3 to 1 or higher... meaning for every gallon of purified water produced, 3 gallons goes down the drain as brine, or waste water. We collect & reuse this waste water to water our flower beds & vegetable garden. In the winter months, we use this water for the wash cycle in our washing machine. There's nothing wrong with this water, as it's city tap water with slightly higher TDS, roughly 50 ppm more than the city tap water.

Our city calculates or water & sewer billing (VERY expensive) by the amount of water consumed, so it makes sense not to waste water!

As to the flow rate of the RO purified water. I measured ours & it's about 0.5 gallons per minute.

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,575 Posts
@adc more poop on RO water filtration, which I have installed in my house.
Yea...I would certainly go that way. B ut for decades and decades I go into town and for 30 cents/gall on I get RO water for drinking. Starts out with town water then filtered then RO, UV, and carbon filter. The wife and I use 5 gallons/week. Pretty hard to beat. I get it on one of my trips to town. I honestly credit our good health to drinking that water for probably 35 years.

·
Administrator
37,485 Posts
@RMichael I'm sure the complete answer will be complicated, but my guess & simple answer. The nuclear... mixed bed resin is much more expensive & it would not be compatible with your existing water softener... as in, the resin would not regenerate like regular water softener resin does.

Bobby...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts