Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a little more 'sound' from my MY06 FXT so was thinking axle back, Dealer says don't do it due to warranty issues. Muffler shop says back pressure will change so may cause probs.
Anyone had any issues / claims etc? Anyone tried or recommend a "bolt on" axle back that could be swapped back for servicing / warranty etc?

I also read that the rear muffler on my06 is pretty much straight thru anyhow, so to make more sound I'd need cat back or turbo back, which is a lot more bolting / unbolting for each service. Any thoughts?

TIA

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi cadman...........

I have an MY06 XT with a diff back MRT muffler... All it has given me is pleasure!! The back pressure "problem" is in my opinion a complete wank.. Perhaps if you change the complete exhaust system you might induce some probs, but with a simple bolt on replacement such as mine I am sure you will have no worries at all. Regarding warranty I guess the standard warnings apply - if you claim against a warranty and the dealer can implicate the muffler there might be some negotiation required. Having said that I have been re-assured a number of times that a simple replacement rear muffler will have no ill effects at all. My experience certainly confirms this is the case. Here's some pics of the car and it's MRT diff back muffler.... http://photobucket.com/albums/c104/harbour2929/Forester MY06/
Oh, I actually did this changeover myself - the replacement went straight on with the addition of an adapter flange - changing a tap washer is a severe test of my mechanical ability so if I could do it ANYONE CAN DO IT!! Also, you won't need to keep swapping the mufflers for services unless your dealer is a complete ******. I have never heard of anyone having to do this...
Hope this helps a bit....

Kind regards
Ron.

·
Administrator
15,190 Posts
I had to change axle back because of the replacement rear bar - the oem hung too low. Never had any problem nor comments from the dealer at all.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ron,
Probs can occur during manufacture, and I just didn't want to have a simple rear muffler 'blamed' for a holed / broken piston or turbo or whatever.

Fitting a muffler myself is not a prob. and refitting every 6000 service is prob not much more of a prob either, just a hassle.

So how is the sound on the MRT? does it drone on freeway? What sort of $$ did they charge? And did they supply the adapter you mentioned?
I saw somewhere someone used a Lukey 2-1/2" muffler for a couple of hundred$, not sure if that was a 'bolt on' type fitment however. Did you look/ listen to at other options?

Lastly, do you have the suby 2" towbar? if so I assume the muffler works with it OK or did you have to get new hangers also to make clearance?

Sorry for all the Q's.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cadman said:
Thanks Ron,
Probs can occur during manufacture, and I just didn't want to have a simple rear muffler 'blamed' for a holed / broken piston or turbo or whatever.

Fitting a muffler myself is not a prob. and refitting every 6000 service is prob not much more of a prob either, just a hassle.

So how is the sound on the MRT? does it drone on freeway? What sort of $$ did they charge? And did they supply the adapter you mentioned?
I saw somewhere someone used a Lukey 2-1/2" muffler for a couple of hundred$, not sure if that was a 'bolt on' type fitment however. Did you look/ listen to at other options?

Lastly, do you have the suby 2" towbar? if so I assume the muffler works with it OK or did you have to get new hangers also to make clearance?

Sorry for all the Q's.

Questions are no problem at all mate.....

cadman said:
So how is the sound on the MRT? does it drone on freeway?
No droning at all on the freeway - I have done a couple of trips from Sydney to Canberra and back and it is quite sedate. Certainly not intrusive at all. Here is a (pretty ordinary) sound file of what it's like
http://www.upload2.net/download2/1dsLFJiNmR2Je5i/R0011702.WAV.html
Look about 2/3rds down the page.

cadman said:
What sort of $$ did they charge?
I was lucky and picked mine up for $300 second hand but it had only been on the original car for a couple of months. Mine is Stainless Steel and new they are around $700 or so, which is very exxy and was the reason I jumped at the used one. I am sure you can get them in mild steel a lot cheaper than that.

cadman said:
And did they supply the adapter you mentioned?
Yep - the adapter came with the one I bought as it came off a Forester. I think they are only around $20 if you need to buy one seperately.

cadman said:
There have been a few people who have gone for the Lukey option and they all report that they are very happy with the result. I haven't heard one but I do have a recollection that they needed the hangars altered. Wouldn't like to be quoted on that one though.....

cadman said:
Yep - I have the towbar fitted - I don't tow anything however - it's there purely as a protection device for parking lot idiots... The MRT muffler went on exactly and didn't need any changes at all to fit properly.

Hope this helps mate....

Regards
Ron.

·
Registered
2006 XTA
551 Posts
Just to add to that.... the comment that the '06 muffler is almost a straight through is not right. It's a huge tank of a thing with enough wadding and bends to assure zero noise at the back. Fitting a new axle back pipe with a straight through muffler cost $300 at local Carline and the sound is glorious - deep and throbby. You get your stock fitting back too.
Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts