Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 2.5X L.L. BEAN
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called today to see how much it would be to have my frond and rear discs turned and a pad replacement would be, plus a system flush. The dealer quoted me $420, ABSOLUTELY CRAZY!!!!.
I will just change the pads and have a friend turn the rotors for me, I was going to have the dealer do it because I live in an apartment and my parents garage is 30 min away. I just take a day and go wrench with my own tools.

Anyone have a pad recommendation...my girlfriend drives the car and she has a tendancy to brake kinda hard and alot of dust tends to build up over a short time. I would like some good pads that dont leave so much brake dust. Also does anyone use the Baer OE replacent rotors and how resistant have they been to distortion, or warping.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts
Hawk HPS are a great pad, and fairly cheap. They tend to dust, but just more of a reason to clean the car regularly ;')

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Get some decent quality rotors, any sort of blank rotor will work, ie: brembo, centric, or even any autoparts store. I like to pick a rotor that has the hat section coated as theres lots of salt used around here.

There are MANY choices for pads. The hawk HPS are a good all around choice, but they do tend to dust a little more than others, you might want to a try a nice ceramic pad (although they tend to wear rotors more than others).

The main reason for "warped" rotors is braking hard and getting the rotor hot, and then keeping the pads pressed against the rotor while stopped (ie, hard braking through a mountain road and then sitting stopped at a stop light). You'll sometimes even start to see the outline of the pad on the rotor.

For some reason brake work at dealers and shops tends to be expensive for no reason. No one but myself has touched the brakes on my car (aside from fixing the ebrake, remember to take the ebrake off before you try removing the rear rotors!).

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
942 Posts
I don't have to do my own brakes, i take it to a local independent mechanic it cost 200 with new rotors and pads (well that was for my civic, but still he charges like 50 for the labor). Delears are a rip off.

·
Registered
2000 2 Outbacks 1Man , 1 Auto
312 Posts
I called today to see how much it would be to have my frond and rear discs turned and a pad replacement would be, plus a system flush. The dealer quoted me $420, ABSOLUTELY CRAZY!!!!.
Actually I don't think thats too bad a price . A main dealer would fit new discs as a matter of course and with 4 discs , pads and new fluid plus labour time of a couple of hours then think you are getting a bargain!.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I MT Manual
1,074 Posts
Actually I don't think thats too bad a price . A main dealer would fit new discs as a matter of course and with 4 discs , pads and new fluid plus labour time of a couple of hours then think you are getting a bargain!.
Be careful you are getting what you are paying for with rotors and mechanics. I've caught a dealer charging for OEM rotors but installing Made in China $30 specials purchased at NAPA. It was not a Subaru dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts