Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a warning to some, as it might save you guys some head-scratching and time consuming troubleshooting ...

had some fun in the snow this weekend at the cottage, got stuck, unstuck, stuck ... anyways ... good old fun but when i packed up and got ready to head home... felt a loss of power and heard a loud noise that sounded like a boost leak (really loud SHHHHHHHH) on boost.

anyways, the car is slightly moded (downpipe, tune) ... so it could be a mix of alot of things (I also pull a trailer with a snowmobile often) but it turns out that the rubber hose connecting the throttle-body to the intercooler disconnected somehow... and air was leaking out (or actually air leaked in) ...

I took the I/C out, re-positioned the hose, tighted the clamps (wich were much too loose to start with in my oppinion)... and problem was solved ...

so if you ever have to remove the IC and work anywhere close to there, I suggest you take the time to tigthen the clamps on there ... they were much too loose on my car... but like i said, I pull stuff, and the car is modded... so there is much more forces beeing applied to that hose ... but still... shouldnt come off like that.

funny thing is ... this didnt throw any CEL ....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure the downpipe install is why the hose came off.
impossible ... the intercooler was never removed to do the downpipe ... not even one bolt was taken off... you dont need to on the newer engines, as the IC is so small ... it doesnt even go over the turbo.

this is my 3rd subaru, and probably 20-25th downpipe installation ... i know what im doing. This clamp was not secured correctly from the factory, at least not enough to take some 18-19PSI pounding from a stuck Forester :biggrin:

i wouldnt waste my time posting here if i thought I was the one to blame for this problem... as i've said, in my oppinion, this clamp is not tight enough from the factory ...

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,325 Posts
I am curious if this might be some of the issue from new members either test driving or owning one & saying there is no power?

joe r

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am curious if this might be some of the issue from new members either test driving or owning one & saying there is no power?

joe r
this is really audible ... its like having a blow-off valve that is stuck open ... you cant miss it ... but yeah... you do feel a huge drop in power obviously.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts