Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with temperatures between -10° and -20°C around here, I was wondering what are your methods of warming up the engine? Do you try to go at a certain RPM? Do you care? How many of you use electric block heaters? How many use Webasto or similar fuel-consuming heating systems?

I try to go at 2500rpm consistently until the engine has warmed up, I once read that this was good for the engine. Is that so?

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
357 Posts
Block heater is the way to go. Costs about $30 and maybe $100 to install.
Definitely worth it if you see freezing temperatures for a couple months per year as we do in Canada.

Extensive study was conducted recently by the Canadian Auto Assoc. (CAA) on the topic.
link to the CAA brochure here.

·
Registered
10 XT 4EAT
887 Posts
my method depends on whether i have to scrape or not. If i have to scrape, start car, let idle while scraping, when done get in and drive. If i don't have to scrape, really depends on outside temperature, but i let it idle for around a minute, then start driving.

untill the blue coolant light goes off, as per the manual, i definately don't take it over 4000 rpm, but typically kinda keep it under 3000 until the light goes out.

The fastest way to warm the engine is to actually drive it. The past 'studies' that i remember said to only let the car idle for 30 sec then start driving it.

oh, i also use the block heater once colder then -10C, which is usually most of time.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,234 Posts
I start the car and let it idle until warm. I think the key is to warm it up under no load until the car is at operating temps.
No. You need to drive it under low load conditions until it gets warm.

Let it idle a minute or two then drive off. Keep it below say 3000 rpm (your 2500 rpm is fine) until its warm.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
i always wait until the temperature gauge starts to read. not the best for gas mileage, but i know for a fact im up to operating temp... for your climate, the block heater sounds like a good idea!

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
A block heater is nice. The engine gets a relatively warm start, which means less wear on the internal parts, and the whole works come up to operating temp more quickly. I plug mine in for about 3 hrs. before starting whenever the temp is near or below freezing. Once started, I pretty much just wait for the fuel injection system to lower the revs on its own, a couple of minutes, and then gently drive off. Even tho the engine may be relatively warm, remember your transmission and differential fluids are still cold, take it easy on them for a few miles ( or kilometers).
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Block heater sounds good, does anybody know if there are 230Volt Block heaters? All I could find were 115 Volt versions, which don't work over here...

·
Registered
2004 2.0 XT MT
67 Posts
Our Forester is the first car we've had since early eighties without a block heater - which is the way to go; if we keep the car I'll have one installed. Without it, we start driving with low load right after start-up.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
I let mine run and warm up for a few minutes too before driving off, thats the reason why I got a remote starter. :Banane35:

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Block heater sounds good, does anybody know if there are 230Volt Block heaters? All I could find were 115 Volt versions, which don't work over here...
I would think that the block heaters over there would already meet your electrical requirements. Anything available from Subaru there?

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,420 Posts
We get -20°C too. I have a block heater and never used it since I owned the car. I just start it and let it warm up for 5-10mins depending on outside temperature.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
I start it and go, but I watch my oil temp (I have a digital gauge) and I go easy until my oil temp gets above 150°F

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
I start it and go, but I watch my oil temp (I have a digital gauge) and I go easy until my oil temp gets above 150°F
An oil TEMP guage...what a great thing to have! Can you tell us approx. how long or how far it takes the oil temp to reach 150F from, say, about 32F? I'd love to know the answer to that...
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
Block heater is the way to go. Costs about $30 and maybe $100 to install.
Definitely worth it if you see freezing temperatures for a couple months per year as we do in Canada.

Extensive study was conducted recently by the Canadian Auto Assoc. (CAA) on the topic.
link to the CAA brochure here.
Fujisan has done all of us "blockheads" a real favor by providing this link. I just finished reading the brochure and it is one of the most comprehensive reports on the usefulness of a block heater I've ever read. Thanks, Fujisan!
Steve
09 2.5X AT
p.s. the link is a bit awkward to use for the computer-impaired (like me), but stick with it, you'll figure it out and it is great reading. I've already printed my copy out.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,234 Posts
Yea..oil temp is the way to go and as I recall it lags water temp. But likely by the time your water temp is at normal operating the oil is good to go.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
I'm reading the oil temp from the galley plug at the back of the motor (by the turbo) I found it to be a good indication of oil temp. Better than say the one Subaru uses with its oil temp gauge which is in the oil drain plug. My digital one does not start reading till 110°F and it starts to register in about 2 miles from driving and it gets over 150 maybe after a total of maybe 5-6 miles. I'm just taking a swag I'll try to pay more attention.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts